Newbie with questions about pregnancy & artificial valve (mitral)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coumadin and pregnancy

coumadin and pregnancy

No one's mentioned yet that coumadin cannot be used if one is pregnant due to a high risk of birth defects to the baby. You would need to be switched over to daily injections of heparin, and I'm not sure of the risks heparin may have to the baby.

I'm in my early 40's and have a six year old, which was partly possible due to a shrewd cardiologist who allowed a watch and wait approach. During my pregnancy I was under the care of my cardiologist and my OB/gyn and obviously consulted with my cardio before getting pregnant, so I wouldn't end up with heart failure from the increase in blood volume (by 1/3) and weight, strain, etc., and both of us could die.

It sucks to have the "earth mother" aspect of being female out of reach, but I know another pregnancy for me would be too much risk for me (not anyone else) to knowingly and rationally enter into.

I'm glad you're researching the risks now, it's most definately not a trivial matter. My thoughts are with you.

Patty

Oh yes, the coumadin thing... :) Actually, a lot of doctors, because heparin isn't as safe for the mother long-term, now lean towards using heparin injections the first trimester, then switching back to the lowest possible dose of coumadin through the remainder, until just before the due date.

I had actually come across a woman in the UK who had been in my exact predicament (so far she's the only one I've found). She actually carried her baby to term while on heparin the entire pregnancy (switched from coumadin to heparin at 5 weeks, which I also found interesting because the baby was born healthy and with no defects - I've always heard you should switch before even trying to conceive). However, after being on heparin from week 5 through the end of her term, she did end up having a clot on her mitral valve... they pushed her into early delivery (by a couple weeks or so), then turned around and did an emergency heart surgery on her to replace the valve and get rid of the clot. Scary stuff. But she insisted on remaining on coumadin through the 2nd & 3rd trimesters because her dose of warfarin was 13mg/day - too high for her to feel comfortable with, which I can understand.

Definitely a lot of issues to struggle with... and I won't make a decision until I'm 100% comfortable with it - I just don't want to make a permanent decision to take away my ability to have children until I know for sure... there may be new drugs to replace heparin or other options out there, so we'll just see.

Thanks again everyone for the ongoing thoughts!
Kerri :)

Hello Kerri73, could you provide an update about your pregnancy? Did you choose to get pregnant? What did the doctors say? Was it successful? I am in the same position right now as you were. I know this is a very old post but im looking for some answers. Double valve replacement (Mitral and Aortic) and wanting to have kids. Someone Please get back on this.
Thanks

Kerri, I am sorry that you are seeking answers like this. It was in a pamphlet that did not recommend getting pregnant due to the high risk of birth defects. I would like to let you know that you can adopt children, if you have thought about that. Coumadin thins the blood and causes birth defects. And it could harm you since you would take a chance on a bleeding episode during the delivery. Perhaps you might find the answers you are seeking from someone soon.But keep in mind the risk of birth defects are great. Have a great day and hugs for today.

Back