Pacemaker to be inserted after 5year Valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWyndham

I had Bicuspid Aortic Valve replacement and aortic root repair over 5 years ago, Recently Ive had a nasty cough and cold and have been experiencing dizziness and feeling light headed fairly frequently. I put that down to the cold.

In October I had an annual Echo and was due to see my Cardiologist within a few weeks of that. As it turned out, he himself wasn't well so the meeting/consultation was delayed to January (Tuesday 8th - which was also my birthday ;-).
That proved to be fortunate as I had put the being lightheaded down to the cough and cold. Although the Echo done in October showed good results, he decided to do an ECG there and then. This revealed some deterioration Low pulse and signs of electric signals between the chambers not being normal.So I've been scheduled for a Pacemaker insertion on Friday 11th! Im hoping this solves the problem as even yesterday and today the light headed episodes seems worse.

Im on my feet all day (retail) and its a slog. Im thinking maybe I should explore jobs from home on my pc as I used to do web and database work years ago. Any links appreciated.

So Ill let you know how I feel with the pacemaker once all is done over the weekend :)

Hi Doug

Hope all went well with the pacemaker implantation. Reading you post it very similar to my Hubby’s situation at the moment. He had Aortic valve replacement 6 years ago. He has suffered with bouts of dizziness usually upon standing, ever since. It has always been put down to low blood pressure episodes and being tall, however on New Years Day he felt a little off sitting down so I checked his blood pressure which was fine but his pulse rate was 37. This lasted for around 10 mins or so then went back to normal. John saw the cardiologist on the 7th and was told he had complete heart block and is going in on the 16th for a dual chamber pacemaker to be fitted. I would love to hear your experience with this. Good luck with it all. Regards Sue.

Hi Doug,
I ended up with heart block a few months after my AV replacement that moved right into bradycardia (heart rate at about 35) so I had a pacer implanted. Made an immediate difference and solved all my issues. I hope it does the same for you.

I hope all went well with the op. I gained mine immediately after the valve op, as they accidentally damaged my electrics, but frankly I believe I went from normal function before the valve/pacemaker to normal function now too. If you are concerned about the scar, after the six week physical recovery I used bio oil almost daily for the best part of a year, which reduced the scar to near-invisible.

I had the Pacemaker (Abbotts - ST Jude) fitted today.. Not too bad a procedure I have to say and the staff at North Hants hospital (Basingstoke, UK) were amazing. They offered to book me off work for 2 weeks but at my company I dont get paid if I dont work,So Im booked off for a week followed by 4 weeks no lifting and light duties.

Im hoping the security issues raised over these pacemakers is minor.

https://themalaysianreserve.com/2017/11/07/abbott-pacemakers-dealing-cyber-security-issues/

DougWyndham;n886277 said:
I had the Pacemaker (Abbotts - ST Jude) fitted today.. Not too bad a procedure

glad it went well ...

now, this is a place you don't hear of all that often ...
Basingstoke, UK
I've got a friend from there (lived in Australia for over 30 years now thou)

DougWyndham;n886277 said:
I had the Pacemaker (Abbotts - ST Jude) fitted today..

Im hoping the security issues raised over these pacemakers is minor.

https://themalaysianreserve.com/2017...curity-issues/

Personally even if I had a St Jude pacemaker singled out in that cyber security article I would not be too concerned at the security risk. Somebody would have to be very close to you, with reasonably expensive equipment, to attempt to reprogram a device. Whilst a hack into pacemaker equipment at a hospital or clinic might be a possibility, it is an elaborate way to extort money or bring terror, with I would suggest easier targets to go for. If I was a multi-millionaire at risk of blackmail or something, I might take a different view.

That's not to say I don't think the general point, that manufacturers of medical devices like pacemakers need to pay more attention to security, is valid.

Last edited:
DougWyndham;n886302 said:
All went well and Im adjusting to having another new 'part' :)

You'll get used to it
7Gz9.gif

:Face-Cool:

Latest posts

Back