Echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacers74107

so I just saw my cardiologist the 2nd time I saw him last year I have bav no aneurysms mild to moderate regurgitation and I had my 2nd echo done he said I had no significant changes and that he would like to see me back in 2 years is that normal i was just wondering thanks

This is pretty common in the early stages of BAV "disease." You have a condition that warrants monitoring, but odds are strongly in your favor that things will progress slowly at first (in fact, many patients never progress and never require treatment - heck, many don't even know that they have the condition). Early on, there is little to be done. You cannot really affect the progression of your valve. It will or it won't. It may be faster than some, maybe not. We monitored my valve for over 11 years before surgery. Everyone is different.

If your cardio is asking for a repeat visit in 2 years, he/she seems to believe that you are just at the beginning of all this, and that a 2-year return schedule is OK. Some cardio's ask patients to return in 1 year for check-ups. It depends upon their interpretation of the severity of your condition. It sounds like you'll be in The Waiting Room for some time. Enjoy life while you're waiting. Just have all of your scheduled checkups and tests and see where it takes you.

I second everthing Steve wrote. You don't give your age, or how your BAV was discovered, or whether you've had any symptoms. Mine was discovered at age 60 after I complained of shortness of breath. I was born with a BAV but had no clue. When I was diagnosed I had moderate to severe stenosis and my cardio said I could wait for surgery for about a year, in which case I would have been monitored. I opted to get it done and over with. So waiting two years in your circumstances seems quite reasonable.

The only thing I might add is that it could make sense to consider simple lifestyle changes that may be of some help. There is a case to be made for staying healthy and active so as to keep your blood pressure low. And there is some evidence that vitamin K2 (more leafy greens) could be of help with potential calcification of the valve. But these are things that everyone should consider regardless of the type of valve.

And as others have well said, enjoy life. Most people with BAV do not even know they have the condition and it includes a collection of elite athletes. The most important thing is that you have realized you have this and are under the care of a good doctor who you trust.

I'm also gonna give a "hear hear" for Steve's comment.

I was about 5 years of "see you next year" when diagnosed as a kid, another 20 years of "see you next year" after the first surgery and about the same after the second.

These things don't progress fast (until they do) ... so as long as you feel fine (and they say you're fine) then you're fine :)

Don't get stressed about it is my advice, live and be happy with every day.

Latest posts

Back