Indications for AVR for chronic severe Aortic Regurgitation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZechariahLi

This is my first official post, got to know many wonderful guys here in other threads, but today I'm kinda paranoid and wanted to hear from you guys... 

I'm 29, got to know my BAV in Dec 2016 after an echo because a  GP heard a murmur for my pre-employment check up. So together with the echo, I got to know my BAV is accompanied with severe regurgitation, was told to be prepared for AVR soon. That scared me real bad, and I thought I'm about to bid goodbye to normal life. 

Along the way, prayers, my family and this forum has reinstate the hope I once had for a normal life. I need to admit I'm still scared for the surgery and hope to delay it if possible but not if it affects my quality of life post surgery or chances of survival.

So, some findings, my EF is 62% in Mar 17, diastolic and systolic LV size dilated but within the recommended range, blood pressure 70-130, (60 pulse pressure, wider than normal yes, but not approaching the 100 Mark, which is bad), I had no symptoms prior to my knowledge of BAV and severe AR. 

However, since the diagnosis, 1) I noticed my pulses at my wrists and ankles are visible. Is this considered as pounding pulses?

2) I recently I get a mild dizziness not related to physical activities, not really fainting feeling but I can feel the mild dizziness, not sure if this is AR related or subconscious anxiety/stress related. What do you guys think?

3) this morning I felt some pounding pulses below my left collar bone and above my left chest, is this heart palpitations? 

I don't think I have shortness of breath, my feet and ankles are not swollen, I can climb 16 levels of stairs, breathing heavily but able to carry on a conversation, I can jog for 15 mins without problem.. I don't want to have anxiety/stress anymore that might trigger some "symptom", which in turn adds on the anxiety/stress and ultimately affects my quality of life... hope to hear from you guys... thanks! 

Welcome to this great forum, ZechariaLi. Sorry about your circumstances. I wish I could tell you whether these are symptoms. I certainly know in my case, when I first found out I had severe stenosis, I became acutely aware of every heartbeat, my breath and chalked everything up to being symptomatic. I know, in part it was anxiety from the diagnosis. Once, I absorbed the information and got over the shock, and did not hyperfocus on my diagnosis, I kept a log of anyhing that I felt unsure of such as how I felt exercising, fatigue etc. At my next appointment, I brought the information with me to share with my doctor. If you are very concerned, I would contact your doctor to discuss. Take care and best wishes. I got through this and you will, too. There is quality of life after surgery.

ZechariahLi;n876809 said:
........... I had no symptoms prior to my knowledge of BAV and severe AR.Â*

However, since the diagnosis, 1) I noticed my pulses at my wrists and ankles are visible. Is this considered as pounding pulses?

2) I recently I get a mild dizziness not related to physical activities, not really fainting feeling but I can feel the mild dizziness, not sure if this is AR related or subconscious anxiety/stress related. What do you guys think?

3) this morning I felt some pounding pulses below my left collar bone and above my left chest, is this heart palpitations?Â*.........

Now that you have been made aware of your heart issue, you will become more acutely aware of any real, or imagined, feelings involving your heart. Like you, I was young(30) when a cardio dropped the surgical "bomb" on me. Altho I had known of the murmur for years, the thought of THAT surgery scared me....but the alternatives the docs laid out for me scared me even more. Keep a regular contact with your docs.....let them know of your symptoms.....and have the surgery before more significant damage is done.

BTW, my perceived affect of the surgery on my life was much worse than it has actually turned out.

Your symptoms could well be anxiety. There's no doubt the waiting room sucks. Zechariah, we know how you feel... for real. You know how people say 'I understand' when they've got no idea? We ain't those people.

I've learned trying to make sense of all the information from the echo can be futile. It's important to have a good Cardiologist to evaluate your specific situation. If you have any doubts, find another good Dr. and get a 2nd opinion. Ask your Dr. what the measurements mean, whether your symptoms might be related to your regurgitation. I know I definitely noticed more symptoms when I was first diagnosed. I think for me it was some symptoms but mostly anxiety. FWIW, for me, heart surgery was not as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the replies seniors.. I know u guys know how it felt!! This is so hard! Now I have got an offer from another company, I don't even know if I should take it since I don't know when I would need the surgery... 

Back