Seeking information

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello everyone, I came across this site while researching for information on my condition. I recently had an unexpected visit to the cath lab and had a 90% blockage of my LAD. Unfortunately this is the least of my concerns I also have AS , a year ago my valve measured 1.7cm and I was told to just monitor it and in 4 or 5 years we may have to do something. Well 1 year later it measures 1.1cm. I also have an aortic aneurysm measuring 4.8 x 4.5cm unchanged in 1 year. My cardiologist is not a surgeon so I have been referred to one. the sitting around and waiting while not knowing anything is killing me.
My question is this, do you think surgery is in my near future with the combination of my condition?
Thank you

First, let me welcome you to the site. You've found what we believe to be the best place on the web to learn about heart valve surgery - from the patient perspective. Second, let me be very clear - I am not a doctor. I'm just another patient who has had a valve replaced (and some other miscellaneous repairs along the way).

That said, I would suspect that yes, surgery probably is in your relatively near future, but maybe not all that near. The medical profession has statistical criteria as "triggers" for intervention for each of your conditions. For the stenosis, aside from watching you for symptoms, I think they tend to recommend surgery when the valve area becomes less than 1.0 or 0.8 cm2. You have some time there. With aortic aneurysms, IIRC, the action point is when they hit 5.0 cm (I could be out of date on this one). Again, you have some time. The sticky one is that LAD blockage. I am surprised they did not recommend immediate implant of a stent to open that artery while you were in the cath lab. That would be worth asking your cardio about.

In my case, we found out that my LAD was about 50% blocked when I had the cath in prep for my valve replacement surgery. My surgeon told the cardio at the cath lab not to stent, though, as he would just do a bypass "while he was in there." If they are expecting you to have valve surgery soon, that may be why no action was taken on the blockage. I would move this blockage up in your priorities. A 90% blockage of the LAD can be serious (Google "widow-maker"), while your other co-existing conditions may be less volatile.

I imagine some others will be along soon to join in, but whatever you do, take a deep breath. Maybe tell us where you're located - somebody may have some recommendations for doctors, surgeons or hospitals nearby. They will probably also know more about the combination of conditions than I. Hang around a while, and keep asking questions. That's why we're here.

HEY Steve. A friend of a friend is hopefully coming iin for after surgery. I knowyou will' help him. T. Ks,old friend. (Hensylee) Ann. Bblessins.. and hey yall. 2000

thank you for your reply. I should have been more specific they did stent my LAD. I was aware of the numbers used to determine surgery and individually the AS and aneurysm are close. I was thinking the combination of the 2 would accelerate the surgery. I will see my cardiologist in 2 days so hopefully he can give me some clarity

ANN! ! ! You've made my day, darling! It has been so very long. Why don't you come sit for a bit and we can visit? I'd love to catch up on how you're doing.

I'm still here, getting the most I can out of every day I am so blessed to receive. Still working full-time (although I move a bit slower now, at age 69), going to the gym, keeping up with our grandson via long distance (well, Skype video) and just keeping on with things. Hope you're well, too.

Hello Guest i don't know if you are my dtr-in-law's friend. welcome. I joined when this site was brand new back in 1999. What a wonderful place to be. I joined in ignorance about hearts. Somebody gave me answers and courage. it's yours for the taking. If you questions or anthing else just ask.

:Face-Angel:hi Steve and evserybody. Gosh it feels homey here. I am pretty much ok at 84. Arthritis has invaded me Nd made me crippled and wheelchair bound.. But i manage very well.:Scared:we have, for entertainment two dogs, One imaginary kitten a 15 mo old baby girl who laughs harder than the grownups thereby making our lives fuller than most. So, ALL my vr family what a pleasure to say hey to all yall. And I love you, everyone. Ann (Hensylee):Face-Kiss:

Latest posts

Back