Bicuspid Aortic Valve and 42mm root

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKnight

Hi everyone...thank you for the feedback on my last post. I'm now at the Cleveland Clinic and had all my pre surgery tests. My left ventrical has improved from moderately dilated to normal (5.7mm) diastolic /3.7mm systolic. However my aortic root is 42mm (45mm on CT)...my EF improved from 55 to 64%. I am non symptomatic. I will see Dr Svensson on Monday. The cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic Dr Rodriguez said he would not do surgery at this point....because of the risks of OHS vs my current status.

what are the experiences of fellow heart patients here? Any advice as to having a repair or replacement vs waiting until my LV becomes dysfunctional or I have symptoms or both?

That's a tough call for a non professional to make I wouldn't want to wait until permanent damage is done but on the other hand if they're going to repair the valve but not touch the root then I would wait if the valve isn't bad . On the other hand I think a dilated root can negatively effect the valve so maybe they would address it when 'in there'. Obviously Dr. Svensson is going to know a lot more then anyone out here , the best we can do is share our experiences and help you ask the right questions. What the right questions are depend on your priorities.
P.S. What has caused your numbers to improve?

Last edited:
I was put on lasortan (arterial dilator). I have severe regurgitation. Dr Svensson looked at my tests from December and felt he could repair the Bicuspid valve, though he said he wouldn't be sure until he was in surgery (70% chance of repair)...is his experience.

That's the same I heard from my surgeon, Dr Bavaria, he said he wouldn't know if the leaflets would except a stitch until he was in there. I didn't have much regurgitation though.

Back