Bicuspid Aortic Valve repair vs replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKnight

I am scheduled for a Aortic Valve repair at the Cleveland Clinic. Anyone have experience with having their aortic valve repaired vs. Replaced?

My valve was in good shape- no stenosis and only trace leakage- the cause for surgery was my aneurysm. It was repaired by Dr. Joseph Bavaria at HUP ( Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania ). My surgeon didn't want to replace it as it was in good shape and he specializes in repair. As I was only 45 my backup was a mechanical valve if he found my valve wouldn't accept a stitch. No problem.

Last edited:
My valve was repaired 3 years ago. Unfortunately, i am schedules now for a replacement because the valve repair didn't hold. It's a risk you take. My backup was bio by the way (age 40). Looking back, the repair was not a good choice and they should have aborted the repair and have made the replacement... Important is not to accept a 'rest' leak after the repair. 'rest' leaks will eventually grow into bigger leaks.
Find a surgeon with a lot of experience. Repair doesn't need warfarin and you have a change that i will last forever. At least that is what i thought.... I was not informed about the risks. It is a difficult decision for you....Now i will opt for a mechanical and pray everything will be fine. The operation is ok, but nobody told me about all types of 'complications' you can have after the surgery....

erik;n873086 said:
My valve was repaired 3 years ago. Unfortunately, i am schedules now for a replacement because the valve repair didn't hold. It's a risk you take. My backup was bio by the way (age 40). Looking back, the repair was not a good choice and they should have aborted the repair and have made the replacement... Important is not to accept a 'rest' leak after the repair. 'rest' leaks will eventually grow into bigger leaks.
Find a surgeon with a lot of experience. Repair doesn't need warfarin and you have a change that i will last forever. At least that is what i thought.... I was not informed about the risks. It is a difficult decision for you....Now i will opt for a mechanical and pray everything will be fine. The operation is ok, but nobody told me about all types of 'complications' you can have after the surgery....
Yes leaks right after the repair are a bad indicator for longevity. My backup was going to be mechanical but fortunately my repair tested with zero leakage post surgery and again a year later. Due for another follow up so fingers crossed.

cldlhd;n872718 said:
My valve was in good shape- no stenosis and only trace leakage- the cause for surgery was my aneurysm. It was repaired by Dr. Joseph Bavaria at HUP ( Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania ). My surgeon didn't want to replace it as it was in good shape and he specializes in repair. As I was only 45 my backup was a mechanical valve if he found my valve wouldn't accept a stitch. No problem.

Bavaria is awesome...saved my life!!!!

Heart Of The Sunrise;n873108 said:
Bavaria is awesome...saved my life!!!!

Yes he is a top shelf surgeon from what they say, hell he will tell you also-lol! Some are put off from his 'high confidence' level but it didn't bother me at all. As long as the results are there.

cldlhd;n873109 said:
Yes he is a top shelf surgeon from what they say, hell he will tell you also-lol! Some are put off from his 'high confidence' level but it didn't bother me at all. As long as the results are there.

I was given the option of repair but went for a mechanical, from what I understood it wouldn't have been repairable anyway with the condition it was in,
curious whats the expected longevity for your repair?
cheers

Warrick;n873550 said:
I was given the option of repair but went for a mechanical, from what I understood it wouldn't have been repairable anyway with the condition it was in,
curious whats the expected longevity for your repair?
cheers

I guess it's one of those things where you really don't know but post surgery when my surgeon came down to see my wife and mother he was fist pumping and he said " I nailed it and I'll never have to see him again". Obviously that's not a guarantee but the valve wasn't the cause for my surgery in the first place. That was my aneurysm. It had zero leakage post surgery and a year later. So I'm pretty confident on the leak front but , not to jinx myself,you never know in regards to calcification. My valve didn't have any at the age of 45 but not sure what that means in regards to the future.
Also I told him I didn't want it repaired unless he thought it would be a durable one, I didn't want to it just for the sake of it or because that's his specialty. Fortunately for me he put it in his top 5 all time repairs and presented my case at the 1st annual conference on aortic valve repair in Philadelphia later that year .

Last edited:
cldlhd;n873601 said:
I guess it's one of those things where you really don't know but post surgery when my surgeon came down to see my wife and mother he was fist pumping and he said " I nailed it and I'll never have to see me again". Obviously that's not a guarantee but the valve wasn't the cause for my surgery in the first place. That was my aneurysm. It had zero leakage post surgery and a year later. So I'm pretty confident on the leak front but , not to jinx myself,you never know in regards to calcification. My valve didn't have any at the age of 45 but not sure what that means in regards to the future.
Also I told him I didn't want it repaired unless he thought it would be a durable one, I didn't want to it just for the sake of it or because that's his specialty. Fortunately for me he put it in his top 5 all time repairs and presented my case at the 1st annual conference on aortic valve repair in Philadelphia later that year .

++++ thats great for you :)

Back