Waiting Room question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've been in the 'waiting room' for two years and have a symptom question. I'm statistically severe but asymptomatic and of course question everything related to possible symptoms. A doctor told me you will know the difference. Is that true in your experience? I've had a few dizzy spells and minor chest pain but no shortness of breath and nothing that has stopped me. I'm 43, BAV with 1.0 cm and 36 on the gradient pressure if that helps. Thank you

I was asymptomatic except for a little tiredness and some chest discomfort (which I blew off as anxiety due to taking college mid-terms). Student health service referred me to a surgeon who wanted to do OHS ASAP. I waited 11 months, until I graduated to have the surgery and things have worked out OK for me. Test numbers don't mean a lot to me as most of the modern testing was not around when I had the surgery........but FWIW, my gradient across the aortic valve was 117mm.....and from what I now understand....that's bad

PS: Welcome to the forum. This is a great group supportive and well informed folks.

Last edited:
Guest;n872436 said:
I've been in the 'waiting room' for two years and have a symptom question. I'm statistically severe but asymptomatic and of course question everything related to possible symptoms. A doctor told me you will know the difference. Is that true in your experience? I've had a few dizzy spells and minor chest pain but no shortness of breath and nothing that has stopped me. I'm 43, BAV with 1.0 cm and 36 on the gradient pressure if that helps. Thank you

I have dizzy spells and no shortness of breath.. But since I noticed the dizzy spells after knowing my BAV, now I prefer to contribute that to anxiety... I will see my cardio next month and see what he says, I guess they have a exercise test that could better determine the condition... 

Guest;n872436 said:
I've been in the 'waiting room' for two years and have a symptom question. I'm statistically severe but asymptomatic and of course question everything related to possible symptoms. A doctor told me you will know the difference. Is that true in your experience?
I was completely aysmptomatic. The echo at which I was referred for surgery I had nearly asked the cardiologist to be postponed because I was feeling so fit and well and thought there couldn't possibly have been enough progression to warrant another echo. Naturally I felt anxious after that, but stil no symptoms - did a six mile walk and lifted weights the day before surgery. Took me nearly a year to get back to near the level of fitness and health that I had had before surgery. I live in the UK, and in Europe they are very keen that a person has surgery to replace BAV before there are any symptoms - perhaps that's the reason why ?

I had almost no symptoms both times. The first time I had such a slow onset of shortness of breath I would just stop to "catch my breath". I was making the bed one afternoon and had just enough time to call out for my husband before I went down. I was on life support when they replaced my valve.

This last May I was having a hard time doing yard work and also experiencing anxiety as my breath got short. ER doc told me to "get a brown paper bag and breathe into it" Ha ha, yes I gave him the look.
Because I had the valve replacement they finally sent me to the cardiologist and they found my tissue valve was severely stenosed and needed to replace again.

I have never experienced chest pain or other typical symptoms so I think it affects everyone differently(although quite a few experience shortness of breath)

Good luck, listen to your body and cardiologist.

Welcome to the forum. Great people here and a lot of information.

My valve was about like yours when I was first diagnosed at age 52. At that time I was lifting weights, running 7:30 miles, 3 miles a day, 7 days a week. I had NO symptoms. Fast forward about 10 years, and I finally told my cardio that I was "tired of being tired." Still no symptoms. He said that according to the guidelines, I could have had my surgery at any time for the past several years, but that he could not, in good conscience, recommend surgery to a patient who had no symptoms.

I had the valve replaced at age 63. It took most of a year to get back to physical shape better than pre-surgery, but I've gotten even better since then. Now, almost 6 years later, I'd say that I'm in better shape than I was before surgery.

Back