Unexpected :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess someone has to "fan the flames." I administer a couple of corporate cell phone programs (along with a raft of other duties like treasury, finance, accounting, IT). We have found that with our typical users (many of whom are engineers), when we deploy an Android smartphone, we typically "see" that phone 4 to 6 times a year for various software conflicts and glitches. There are constant tech support calls for user-caused issues, and some hardware issues (e.g. Samsung data/charging connector failures). That's a lot of effort for a phone. When we deploy Apple iPhones, we typically see them only twice -- once when we hand them to the user, and once when we pick them up and give out the replacement. They may be less capable, but they are (in our world) more stable and reliable. When you have many phones, and you evaluate the Total Cost of Ownership, the Apple works for us.

awww come on epstns that's not fair ... you know I can't look at a rational argument and stay loopy ...

epstns;n870809 said:
...we typically "see" that phone 4 to 6 times a year for various software conflicts and glitches. There are constant tech support calls for user-caused issues, and some hardware issues .., the Apple works for us.

in a corporate situation for totally sure that is the case. iPhone has distinct advantages in terms of having a very narrow platform to tie down and thus can do it effectively. Android has been a tower of babel (well only worse) since day one.

Myself (*being serious) I hate to go backwards and one of the reasons I stuck with my Nokia for so many years is that it was reliable and functional and secure ... nothing else out of the box did as well except maybe blackberry (which of course was the perfered phone of many a government department for exactly that reason.

ASIO has a hardening guide which if applied will allow an iPhone on site ... no such security measures exist for Android as far as I'm aware and they must be checked at the door. I'm not sure if that still applies after iOS 8 (as I haven't kept up).

I like that my Nokia could take an SMS with a key phrase and the entire phone (SD card included) was encrypted with RSA, this was supported in hardware. Even if you pop the SD card out its buggered at the formatting level without the key.

When I worked for a company with the letters G and S in the name we used IBM Thinkpads because the cost over ownership and deployment organisation wide was lower ...

for individuals the choices and issues are different ... (although I still use Thinkpads to this day)

{regular programming will be resumed as soon as possible ('tsst opens first beer for the weekend)}

I do remember when the Blackberry was the US Government's handset of choice. With the "downfall" of BB, though, things have changed. I don't know about all the other governmental agencies, but the Department of Justice has gone fully over to Apple - iPhones and iPads for their staffers. Their OS is a modified version of the proprietary system, with tighter security, and their servers are apparently quite tightly secured as well.

epstns;n870849 said:
.... With the "downfall" of BB, though, things have changed. I don't know about all the other governmental agencies, but the Department of Justice has gone fully over to Apple - iPhones and iPads for their staffers. Their OS is a modified version of the proprietary system, with tighter security, and their servers are apparently quite tightly secured as well.

well one of the key features of Apple is that because they don't support external media (something I set as a requirement) anything not stored on "local memory" is inherently insecure.

Pretty much anything using HTTPS as the transfer potocols for email will be tight point to point ... and if you're more concerned then encrypt documents.

For myself (as an IT person) I was mighty pissed (and haven't forgiven them) that they didn't (and still don't) support bluetooth for file transfers (yes, something I do between my phone and my laptop as well as other phones quite a bit) and even to drop their own vcard transfer phone to phone of address book items. That the whole thing only worked with iTunes in so many ways pissed me right off.

Now of course that the new playing field level is set of course Google are doing this whole "walled garden" thing too and so I find myself feeling like the open freedoms which existed as recently as 2009 are being replaced with "lock you in to our way" approaches.

I don't like it

PS: if any engineer in my team had to call IT support for how to get their phone working they'd cop a lot of comments from me ... ;-)

Oh, Bill ... need a hand to format that USB stick? Oh, by the way ... that's not a cup holder its for a CD ...

:-D

Back