Surgery on Ascending Aortic Aneurysm at 4.8cm?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thought of that as well, as surgeons have a reputation for wanting to operate. I can only say that it my case, my surgeon really deliberated for a month because he did not want to do unnecessary surgery, but the fact that I was having symptoms tipped the scales in favor of surgery (not symptoms typical of an aneurysm, but definitely something happening in my heart). For many reasons, I really felt that he truly cared about me, not the surgery.

I did not have an aneurysm (but was checked for one before surgery) but had BAV with severe stenosis. My cardio said it was not an emergency but that I'd need surgery within a year. I just wanted it over and done with and opted to have it done as soon as possible. Why wait if it was inevitable? That would have stressed me out more. It was four months from diagnosis to surgery. My decision was also based on my insurance; I was close to my $5000 deductible, which I would have had to meet again if I'd put it off into 2016.

Best of everything going forward. Wishing you peace of mind above all.

Perhaps it's slightly different when it's *just* the aneurysm. Surgery seems inevitable but while the situation is stable and when two surgeons seem to come down on the side of watchful waiting, the overwhelming temptation is to hold off and wait while technical expertise advances.

I'm glad you both have your successful surgery behind you honneybunny and DachsieMom - in many ways I wish I did. Oh for a crystal ball, eh?

Latest posts

Back