Aortic Root Aneurysm and Sex

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearjas

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi everyone. It's about 4 AM here and I can't sleep. I have a question on my mind that's been pending for quite some time but it's one that's not easy to ask. I have an enlarged aortic root which was approximately 3.9 last year and in July was around 4.1. The cardiologist stated he felt it was approximately the same and could very well be the same, etc. Since seeing him, I've actually wondered what my blood pressure does during sexual activity, and yes, I've become curious enough to take it. I'm a bit surprised by the rise in BP during this. I don't have high BP normally. Is this something I should be concerned about? I don't expect any changes in that area from the previous year, but can't help wonder if perhaps this is one of those things I hadn't thought of in being one of the factors I have a "head start" on my aortic size at age 33. The stress that comes with knowing about this condition is so frequent at times!

Blood pressure rises briefly during sex, rises briefly during exertion, rises during stress or when talking or when you're thinking something anxiously, etc, etc, here: http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/FAQs/Lifestyleissues

When I had a stress echocardiogram earlier this year my blood pressure was taken at the start of the test and retaken as I was walking faster and faster on the treadmill - my blood pressure rose which was perfectly normal. It would not have been normal if my blood pressure had stayed the same and that's one of the things they check at the same time as re-doing the echo after exertion, they check to see if the BP rises as it should. So sex involves some exertion plus pysiological changes.

I had the same thoughts before my surgery and my aneurysm was estimated at 4.7 or 4.8 cm. Funny thing is just before and during I wasn't really worried about it but right after I was.

Had a 6.3 aneurysm and didn't worry about it during sex. The thought was there, but was having too much fun to really be worried. Besides, if something were to happen, wouldn't that be when you would want it to happen?? My point being, don't let the thoughts of what could happen affect what is actually happening right now!!

Sounds good. Everything I've read (in what little info I could find anyway) said sex shouldn't be worried about for an aneurysm. I wasn't indicating it shouldn't raise (lol) but if that would be a contradiction or perhaps indicate a low dose BP medication or something of that sort for those times when it might spike above normal.. but it doesn't seem like that's the case and I doubt it if it did. It was just me analyzing everything as I always do. :)

I will be sure and check out that link as well Paleogirl! :)

Keep your BP as low as possible, so any increase with exertion isn't too great. That way you don't have to worry about massive spikes. I'm 7 weeks post-op but intend to stay on Losartan and Atenolol. Someone mentioned 'nice' and yes, it is indeed nice having a lowish HR and BP. Same applies for cholesterol numbers.

PS my first Echo in 2013 showed an ascending aorta of 4.1cm, by the time they operated it was 3.8/3.9. He chose to repair it instead and told me the tissue was 'plum normal'. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but I was, and continue to take, Losartan 50mg, twice daily.

I should update my profile.

Hi Agian. I wonder what would cause an aneurysm is the tissue was normal? Perhaps that's where genetics come in? So it was less large when they chose to operate??

Than 4.1? It was 3.8-3.9.
It could be that for some the tissue is normal, but the response is to the pressure. He chose to leave it alone. Or, it is possible that the losartan caused some reversal.

Agian;n868072 said:
Than 4.1? It was 3.8-3.9.
It could be that for some the tissue is normal, but the response is to the pressure. He chose to leave it alone. Or, it is possible that the losartan caused some reversal.

When you say repaired do you mean replaced with a graft or something else? If you don't mind me asking was your bp high to begin with and is that why your still on losartan and atenolol? Just curious because When I had my aortic aneurysm, supposedly 4.7 cm, I was put on beta blockers even though my resting Bp was fine. Post surgery my cardiologist wanted me to stay on them as "people with bav tend to get aneurysms" but my surgeon said I don't need them as the tendency for aneurysms is only in the area I already had one so I'm not on any. Thanks.

cldlhd;n868082 said:
When you say repaired do you mean replaced with a graft or something else? If you don't mind me asking was your bp high to begin with and is that why your still on losartan and atenolol? Just curious because When I had my aortic aneurysm, supposedly 4.7 cm, I was put on beta blockers even though my resting Bp was fine. Post surgery my cardiologist wanted me to stay on them as "people with bav tend to get aneurysms" but my surgeon said I don't need them as the tendency for aneurysms is only in the area I already had one so I'm not on any. Thanks.

He told me he cut it across and created a 'flange', to reinforce it. I'm kicking myself that I didn't ask him for the name of the procedure so I could look it up. Does anyone know?
My BP was great before the op and it has remained good since then. I've sufferred with high BP since I was a kid.
HR was normally high for me (100ish) , hence the Atenolol.
I think your surgeon is right. I was under the impression it was only the ascending aorta that was affected with BAV.

Agian;n868115 said:
He told me he cut it across and created a 'flange', to reinforce it. I'm kicking myself that I didn't ask him for the name of the procedure so I could look it up. Does anyone know?
My BP was great before the op and it has remained good since then. I've sufferred with high BP since I was a kid.
HR was normally high for me (100ish) , hence the Atenolol.
I think your surgeon is right. I was under the impression it was only the ascending aorta that was affected with BAV.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the procedure so can't help you there. I had mine chopped out and replaced with a graft.

Latest posts

Back