What's the longest someone's bovine aortic valve has lasted?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My aortic bovine valve (the original one) is now 22 years old, while its owner is 81. In any case, that sure was one champ of a cow!
indeed, and so having it in at later age is indeed possible to get 20 or more. As Dick mentioned, he knows one of greater age than that (makes one wonder what all the supposed development by valve makers has actually achieved).

The valve may be on its last gasps, however, as I am getting spells of dizziness and wobbliness -- and have an appointment with my cardiologist this coming Tuesday.
Keep us posted (as Crooser has asked). I've got my fingers crossed that you're amenable to a TAVR if it is failing.

My aortic bovine valve (the original one) is now 22 years old, while its owner is 81
That is excellent! That is probably one of the longest lasting tissue valves on the forum, perhaps the longest.

The valve may be on its last gasps, however, as I am getting spells of dizziness and wobbliness -- and have an appointment with my cardiologist this coming Tuesday.
You are likely correct. I would agree with Pellicle that if your valve needs to be replaced, at age 81, TAVI is probably your best bet. Crossing my fingers that you are eligible.

Please keep us posted on what your cardiologist says. He will need to see your echo before he informs you what the condition of your valve is, so hopefully he has already placed the order for that. Once you are at the point of dizziness, if it is indeed from the valve, it is not time to delay your next procedure.

Latest posts

Back