Bragging or complaining?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

A little of both, I guess. I had my annual check-up with a new cardiologist in August. He put me on Lasix for two weeks due to edema that was evident in the appointment. He also did blood work to rule out Congestive Heart Failure (which was, indeed, ruled out - YAY!!). Anyway - that all kick started a new focus on health awareness. I have retooled my diet, focusing on fresh whole foods vs. highly processed. I have also started running again and can cover over 3 miles now at a stretch. I get out at least four times a week. I'm down over 20 lbs vs. my 12 month high and over 15 lbs since my check-up. Feeling great overall.

So why complain? I have to figure out a new warfarin level with a changed diet and changing metabolism. My old dose barely keeps me at 2.0. Two weeks ago I was at 1.9. I adjusted up, but only managed to eek out an increase to 2.0. Have to increase again. There are worse problems to have.

If I keep the weight off (perhaps lose more) through my birthday in November, I get new pants! Old pants are looking a little cinched at the waist. I had to drill a new hole in my belts to keep them up.

I would've thought you'd need less Warfarin after losing so much weight... oh, never mind.
Here's to your fitness. I must say I've been blown away by the times of some of our valve veterans.

Down another couple pounds. Saw a number below the 2 - teens (212.8 lbs) for the first time in a decade easily. My 12 month high was 237. At 6' 4", I have another 8 lbs to go until I'm no longer overweight. I'm still 20 lbs heavier than when I got married 18 years ago yesterday to the most amazing woman in the world. Really looking like I need those new pants. Don't know if I'll last till my birthday just drilling holes in the belt. I'm about due for another (hole in the belt).

Lest anyone worry - I'm eating well. Just sticking with fruits, veggies, meat, etc. Being mindful of portion sizes on overly processed breads and cereals, pasta, desserts, etc. I tallied up calories and was up to 1,325 before dinner one day. As long as I stay between 2,000 and 2,500 - I can out-burn my intake due to my size. Last Friday I completed my first five mile run in years. My short run is around 2.6 miles. I do a couple more between 3.1 and 3.6. Then the long run. I walk daily at lunch as well.

My INR is back in range (3.5 today), and I believe I've found a working dose again.

The real challenge will be seeing if I have the discipline to maintain. I know at some point, losing will no longer be the objective. Just living healthy.

Spin class. Added that since my foot and hip aren't happy with running mileage. Down to 210.

INR down to 2.2 this week. Still trying figure this out. Didn't realize how consistently poor my diet was. Now that it's consistently decent, I feel like I'm re-learning dosing all over again.

4.0 INR today. Been a while since I've had to sort out volatility. 206.2 this morning. 1.2 lbs and I'm no longer "overweight".

Ordered some new pants the other day. Won't be throwing the old out anytime soon though, just in case.

Couldn't get to the gym, so I went for a 3.6 mile run Sunday. The spin classes took 30 seconds off my mile pace. Covered right at 36 minutes. Not setting any records - but feeling good. I think this weigh-in puts me down 25 lbs since my August cardio appt.

Nocturne;n879939 said:
Tall people are lucky sonsabitches. Enjoy all of that food dude.

For that I am grateful. I've often thought that if I was 5' 8", I'd weight exactly the same, I'd just be shaped a lot different.

Take solace in the fact that short people tend to live longer on average. A lot more demands on the circulatory system for us tall folks, all else being equal.

Latest posts

Back