Warfarin and supplements

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eva

Miracle Believer
Supporting Member
I came across this article when I started taking vitamin 'E'. My INR went up to 5.? Range! Just wanted to let you know how this affected me though the article says that it's safe to take!

if you're like me, watch out. If you take it and your INR is not affected, I like to read your views about E or any other mentioned in the Article:

http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/coumaden.html

Eva
you asked:
How come I didn't come across it when I was searching about E and coagulation!

dunno, perhaps a few reasons, for instance Google seems to want to stick you into a compartment and only refer you to what you like, so once you build up a history of only looking at certain "classes" of material its all it shows you.

I believe that my search words were "vitamin E and warfarin"

I read your page and it seemed rational and well laid out, making a decent case. However myself I can't comment as I don't take any suppliments and so have no "data" to add to this. None the less if it had no effect on me it would not say that it had no effect on you.

One thing also worth mentioning is that the "Vitamin Industry" does not need to comply to the same standards of quality control as does the Pharmaceutical industry. Accordingly there may (meaning will) be substantial variation in "active ingredient" from batch to batch and even more so brand to brand. So as its well known (well here anyway) that you should not change your warfarin brand (I use the brand Marevan) once you find that you are "okeDokey" with your INR and your vitamin suppliments the same should also be true there : don't change brand.

Best Wishes

PS: just to make sure that its not a coincidence, you could do some more testing. It "may just be" that the INR spike was not caused by the Vitamin E but coincided with it ... dunno

(PPS: dunno is my slang for "don't know" and shrugging my shoulders. I think its common vernacular in spoken language in these parts too)

I have recently ( last few months ) started to take Vitamin E & K2

Mainly due to the reports of Artery calcification due to long term Warfarin use ... I'm currently 7 years in
and take 14mg Daily.

Since joining the forum my view on calcification is changing due to what i am reading mainly from pellicle

When considering Vit E it would seem its much better to take the natural d-alpha as opposed to the synthetic type
that is use in most brands.

my K2 is in the form of MK7 at the moment.

I monitor weekly with the roche home tester and up to now i have noticed a drop in my INR

it may be the E or the K i'm not yet sure so i plan to play around with the supplements to see
what effect it has on the INR over the next few months

Thanks, pellicle. You're absolutely right about Google! But I should have been smarter and went to NIH directly!

I thought about 'coincidence', and tested every time I took vitamin E, in addition to my usual weekly testing! My INR did spike up. I'll try to increase my greens and keep monitoring!

Eva

since you mentioned searching on ncbi, I thought I'd share with you a valuable tip. Google can confine the search to a specific site (even this one), so to confine your search to a repository like ncbi use the following pasted directly into the Google search engine:

site:www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ warfarin vitamin e

always be careful to NOT put the http:// of the site (which is an address qualification not the address, for instance an FTP site would be ftp://

even this site can be searched with the following:

site:www.valvereplacement.org/forums/ oats recipe

its quite powerful and very handy (and it would seem that google soon learns your preferences (once you begin explicitly directing its search) and soon you'll find those sites appearing at the top of your list (under Ads of course ;-)

Some good recipes there in those results too

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Reactions: Eva
Eva Hi Eva, I take the supplement by themselves

My regime consists of :

Vit E
Vit K2
Magnesium chelated
B Complex ( non synthetic )

The magnesium hugely helped with a few palpitations and episodes of AF i used to suffer with, i take 400mg daily chelated with glycinate.

I Wish someone had of told me about the benefits of Mag years ago

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy
Thanks for responding. I never took vit K before. I'm going to start on it, especially that I don't eat greens regularly!

Magnesium is great...I've been taking it for over 30 years...For better sleep, I take it at night with my calcium. I also take B-Complex and Zinc chelated to renew cells that died every day! Stay well.

Eva;n878911 said:
Magnesium is great...I've been taking it for over 30 years...For better sleep, I take it at night with my calcium. I also take B-Complex and Zinc chelated to renew cells that died every day! Stay well.

hi Eva, Does the magnesium actually help with sleep?
I've tried sleepy time tea, but it doesn't seem to help me much.

I enjoyed reading this thread because I have wanted to take vitamin E for a while now, but was concerned about my INR being affected.
Thanks

Clickon,

magnesium taken with calcium at night helps with better sleep! I also take vitamin B6 with them.

As for Sleepy Time, the trick is to go to bed the moment you start feeling a bit like drowsy. At least this is when it works for me. If or when I ignore this feeling, it won’t work well!

As for Vitamin E, try to check your INR next day you take it to see how it affects you, as it’s effect changes from one to another. Then modify your warfarin dosage as needed.

Good luck.

Back