Softball to the head

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mom2angel

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
Hi all,
I took a softball to the forehead in a coed softball game last night. I was in the outfield. The ball was hit, bounced in front of me, and got me in the forehead after the bounce. It stung, but nothing terrible. It has bruised, but not an unusually bad bruise. I am on Coumadin, and keep my INR between 3.0 and 3.5 for an artificial mitral valve. I haven't went to the Dr. or anything. I feel normal. Would you just wait it out like I am? Just curious. I've bled internally after surgeries before, so I am familiar with the signs. Since I've been on Coumadin for 35 years, I'm always less likely to run to the dr. for things. Definitely not saying that that's a smart way to do things. Haha Thanks for any advice.

I would suggest going to see the doctor should you start to experience headaches. One day, I woke up with a headache. It kind of never went away, though controlled well enough with Tylenol. Went to my family doc, neurologist and even dentist. It wasn't until my 2nd CT scan a couple of weeks after my first CT scan that it was discovered I had a brain bleed. I now have a Neurosurgeon. Fortunately no brain surgery, but a couple of lovely weeks in the hospital. They gave me something to drop my INR to normal "right now' and then after a day or two once the bleed stopped, they gave me IV heparin and a day or two later Coumadin until slowily my INR was back in range. That took almost 2 weeks before I was released. Just be careful.

I would not worry unless you have, or develop, headache or signs of a bleed or concussion. A bounced softball probably had lost of lot of force by the time it hit you. BTW, we've all done it.

Thanks guys. Mainframe, did you have any lingering effects from the brain bleed? That's scary. I've never had one that I know of. I do think I have had bleeding ulcers or some sort of abdominal bleeding here and there over the years. There have been times where I have stomach pains and blood in my stool. There are times that I vomit old blood. I just chalk it up to being on Coumadin for so long.
When I bled internally after both of my c-sections, I had a distinct pain in my right front shoulder area and was tired. So, I always watch for those symptoms. You mentioned no brain surgery. That's great! I actually had brain surgery 15 years ago, but it was nothing heart related. Thankfully, it went well, even with being on Coumadin.
Dick, do you ever have times when you have blood in your stool or other internal bleeding signs? Just curious, since you've been on Coumadin so long also. I don't know anyone in real life that's been on Coumadin as long as me, so it's great to hear your stories. Thank you.

mom2angel;n877506 said:
.......Dick, do you ever have times when you have blood in your stool or other internal bleeding signs? .

I had a few issues of blood in urine several decades ago........all happened before the introduction of the INR system. Also had a clot(stroke) due to my poor judgement 40 years ago. Have had no issues(internally or externally) that I am aware of in last thirty plus years.

I think if it hit you after it bounced, it would have struck you softly, on a pretty solid part of your head. I wouldn't worry about it, if it was me. How long on Warfarin ma'am?

No lingering effects that I know of. My wife may disagree. :)

I felt fine the whole time, except for the persistent headache. I called my boss and ask if i could work from the hospital (IT, can work remotely), but he declined and told me to just get better. The headaches went away a couple of weeks after I was released.

Agian, sorry for taking so long to respond. I wish I can email notifications. I've been on Coumadin for 35 years..since I was 2 years old. I was ok from the softball. Had a small bruise for 3 weeks, but no other issues.
Mainframe: thank you for your response too. Very interesting. Glad you had no lingering effects. That can be scary.

Agian, I had bacterial endocarditis when I was 2 and had to have my mitral valve replaced. They replaced the mechanical one with an adult sized mechanical valve when I was 13. I'm 37 now, so I've been taking Coumadin for as long as I can remember. Kinda makes it nice, because it just seems normal to me. I've never known life any other way.

mom2angel;n878056 said:
Agian, I had bacterial endocarditis when I was 2 and had to have my mitral valve replaced. They replaced the mechanical one with an adult sized mechanical valve when I was 13. I'm 37 now, so I've been taking Coumadin for as long as I can remember. Kinda makes it nice, because it just seems normal to me. I've never known life any other way.

You are a poster child for those who fear warfarin for petty and unsubstantiated reasons

Hats off to you

Latest posts

Back