INR and Egg Noodles

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
Supporting Member
Today, while doing my weekly hospital visits, I talked with an older gentlemen who had received a tissue valve and also had a chronic Afib procedure done. He will be taking warfarin from now on and was a little overwhelmed after reading a pamphlet concerning warfarin and vit K foods. I glanced at the pamphlet and did a double take when I noticed that "egg noodles" seemed to be on the no-no list of foods to eat. When I got home I went online because I was very curious about the noodles and vit K. It turns out that, yes egg noodles do contain vit K......145mcg vit K/oz of noodles and in order to consume the USDA daily allowance of vit K you would need to consume 620.34 oz....that's about 39 lbs....in one sitting. I don't know about ya'll but I would have a real difficult time getting thru a pound of noodles....much less 39 lbs.

I am still at a loss to understand why food product with such a small amount of vit K would be included as a product to be avoided. However, this may help explain why so many new warfarin users are uneasy about using that drug. Technically, the statement above may be accurate....but in reality it is extremely misleading.

I am certainly happy I was not exposed to that kind of BS after my surgery.

Last edited:
But it's worse
I recently found that albumin levels in the blood can contribute to elevated INR.

So in theory the egg noodles may also raise and lower your INR at rhe same time via different mechanisms.

This leads to the possibility rhat you will need to eat quite a bit more than your estimate.

my view on this is the increase in hospital bureaucracy oushing to have more published stuff, and the fact that the younger grads actually know less (especially across the nutrition areas) but happily cite eachother without anyone cross checking combine to make a perfect storm of nonsense written by people without a clue and devoid of any experience.

100% with you

Of course, this amplifies the need for self-testing -- to work through the nonsense. The absolute prohibition for eating ANYTHING with Vitamin K is nonsense - consistency is the key. I'm tempted to start a K2 supplement - ONLY K2 - to see if it does anything to my INR.

And Pellicle is absolutely right - you put an M.D. or PhD after your name, and a lot of people get the idea that you actually know what the hell you're writing.

I take vitamin k2. Didn't notice much difference in INR.

But, I wouldn't mess with egg noodles. Some guy in Adelaide ate some a couple of weeks ago and bled out from his eyeballs.

Poor suicidal bastard. He had been warned.

Latest posts

Back