Alcohol & INR - Just for Fun

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanvs

Greetings. So, over the past 3 weeks I have had a desire to check the effects of my INR and Alcohol consumption. It wasn't the most scientific of tests, but was brought on by me wanting to know how Alcohol I could tolerate in one sitting. I don't drink everyday, but often feel like having a couple of drinks on a Saturday night.

Results below but I will note that;
* I may have consumed food that had some effect. Whilst I didn't consume anything that I believe would have had an effect, I may have inadvertently consumed something.
* the measurements are in 'standard' drinks. I tried to remain consistent with the type of beer/alcohol but I did sample 2 different types of beer.
* Testing took place pre consumption at 4:30pm - 2 hrs after first drink (6:30pm approx) - 4 hours post first drink (8:30pm approx) - 8:30am Sunday Morning - 7:30am Monday Morning.
* I burned through a lot of strips but, meh. I was happy to do so simply to see what the results would be.

Week 1
2.4 Standard drinks (2 beers)
Pre - 2.3
2 hrs - 2.3
4 hrs - 2.3
Sunday - 2.2
Monday - 2.3

Week 2
4.2. Standard drinks (3.5 beers)
Pre - 2.3
2 hrs - 2.3
4 hrs - 2.3
Sunday - 2.4
Monday - 2.4

Week 3
5.2 Standard drinks ( 3 beers and a glass of wine)
Pre - 2.6
2 hrs - 2.6
4 hrs - 2.6
Sunday - 2.9
Monday - 2.7

There you go. Not the most scientific of study's, but I think it gives a good idea of how much I can handle in one sitting before my INR changes. It does seem that my INR may have been rising after the week 2 test. Was there something here that then effected week 3? Anyway .

Any questions/feedback welcome.

Cheers

Very useful research! It is definitely worth investing in a few strips sometimes to test the effect (or lack of effect) of something I think. For me, the biggest effect on my INR seems to be when I have a cold or something.

Very informative! A few questions:

What do the numbers before the word "standard" signify? 2.4, 4..2, 5.2?
What is your weight?
In what time period did you consume the drinks? Approximately 30 minutes per drink, etc?
Did you ever feel drunk?

Hi VWalk

1. The numbers mean how many standard drinks. The 2 different types of beer I was drink was 1.2 and 1.4 standard drinks.
2. I weigh 88kg, Approx 194 pounds
3. Approx 30-40 minutes each drink
4. No didn't feel drunk, a little tipsy perhaps with the final week :)

Good test!
I did about the same thing, but I had WAY more beers to do the test. You know, just in case. My results were nearly the same as yours, I noticed negligible differences. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone not self testing though, as everyone is different. I did drink more than usual as I wanted to know if it would affect me if I went out and did overdo it. That being said, I didn't drink real beer, it was cheap American swill.

Thank you!

Yeah I was thinking about pushing it a bit further with my next test and go for maybe 6 or 7 drinks , you know, just for scientific reasons :), but I need to restock strips first.

Seriously though, as you said you would never do this without being able to self test but I'm glad I did it. I know I can enjoy a couple of drinks in moderation without huge changes in INR.

Yeah the beer I drank wasn't anything special either.

UPDATE: So, I had my work Christmas party on Friday night and I may have been a bit more relaxed than usual. About 9-10 beers too relaxed.

Anyway. Tested INR Friday morning, Saturday morning and Sunday morning.

Friday - 2.5 (pre drinking)
Saturday - 2.9 (around 12 hours after my last drink)
Sunday - 2.5 (36 hours after my last drink)

So yeah. No way do I condone drinking that much but I did. I let my hair down (what's left of it) and had a great night.
​​​

Ryanvs;n880652 said:
UPDATE: So, I had my work Christmas party on Friday night
So yeah. No way do I condone drinking that much but I did. I let my hair down (what's left of it) and had a great night.
​​​
Great work in the name on research.
Good to know how it is for yourself.

Merry Christmas

Latest posts

Back