How long does it take for a dose of Warfarin to show up in your INR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

Hello, I was wondering approximately how long it takes for a dose of Warfarin to show up in your INR.

Thanks,
Alex

pellicle;n871858 said:
By 24 hours you'll see influences ... that happened?

I go to the Coumadin Clinic every 4 weeks to get my blood tested. I went this past Wednesday and my INR was 4.1. My range is 2.5-3.5. They told me to hold a dose on Wednesday and continue my normal dosing schedule for the rest of the week. They want me to go back to the clinic on Monday. I take 10 MGS Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday and 12 MGS Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I was just wondering if the doses I've taken Thursday-Sunday would reflect on my INR.

Do do you know how long it takes for a missed dose to reflect on your INR?

Thank you as always pellicle.

Hi

ajc1991;n871860 said:
I go to the Coumadin Clinic every 4 weeks to get my blood tested. I went this past Wednesday and my INR was 4.1. My range is 2.5-3.5. They told me to hold a dose on Wednesday and continue my normal dosing schedule for the rest of the week. They want me to go back to the clinic on Monday. I take 10 MGS Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday and 12 MGS Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I was just wondering if the doses I've taken Thursday-Sunday would reflect on my INR.

Do do you know how long it takes for a missed dose to reflect on your INR?

Well looking through my data missed doses seem to be my speciality (looking at my data far more common than "whoops took tomorrow's today too).

For example when I've had an INR of 3.5 I've taken half my daily dose as a response, resumed normal and tested again in three days. Typically that drops be down to 2.5 again by Wednesday (and Saturday is my usual test day).

Assuming that today is Saturday for you, why not just take half the usual on the next dose (like why wait? Santa won't know) and resume as normal.
For instance, this is one set:
22/10/20162.67.00
23/10/2016 7.00
24/10/2016 0.00forgot
25/10/2016 10.00
26/10/20161.98.50

You can see that it plummeted (had been fairly stable around the 2.5 the week before) 0.7 points to 1.9 in a matter of two days, even with taking the 10mg (7mg normal) in response.

For you I'd say that the differences between 10 and 12mg will be hard to identify because 1) INR fluctuates a bit day to day anyway and 2) its not a big variation.

Going back through a few "ad hoc" test data sets I see that I've never dropped a whole dose as a response to a high INR but I have missed a dose because of mistakes on my part ... not many but enough over the last 5 years to have a few records.

Let me know how it goes.

PS: and you no doubt know my views on 4 week interval tests ... you have no idea how high you were, if you are going up or coming down ... Thus its harder (read guess work) to estimate what may be actually happening.

Thank you both for the responses. I got my INR tested this morning and I was a 2.7, so I'm in range.

ajc1991;n871857 said:
Hello, I was wondering approximately how long it takes for a dose of Warfarin to show up in your INR.

Thanks,
Alex

Per my clinic, they say it takes at 3-5 days to see if a held dose will bring the INR into range. I home test and the soonest they want me to check my INR after an adjustment was 5 days, usually it's a week.

I usually go by the 3 day rule for full effect of my dose, when I test. Each person metabolizes the drug differently, based on a variety of factors, such as diet, medication, etc...
If you have been on it, and have been required to abstain from it in the past for a planned surgery, they usually have you stop taking it sveral days prior to the procedure, and bridge with heparin.

An INR of 4.1 is no big deal and I usually wouldn't make any changes for that except to enjoy a bigger portion of spinach or broc in my dinner.
Dose changes for me show up after about 2 days. I've been doing my own testing and dosing for 10 years, no problems at all.
Eat well and keep doses written down on a calendar.

Back