Coumadin and SHAVING

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryG

:confused: I use a regular blade razor, and was wondering if I need to change to an electric razor after taking coumadin. Normally I do not cut or nick myself but there is always a first.

I have tried electric razors before but my neck gets severely irritated, is there better models out there.....?

Wow feel funny :eek: asking this questioin, but questions arise all the time as I am waiting for the 21st of July.......

Thanks, you folks are wonderful, thank you all.....!

I rip the crap out of my face everytime I shave. Bleeding is no big deal. Stop it like you normally would and you actually bleed just about the same anyway. I swear I'd like to get my hands on the people that started these bizarre "You'll bleed to death if you.........." issues.

Yes, I was "told" to get an electric shaver because of Coumadin. So I did, and use it exclusively. I don't get as close a shave as with a blade, but don't really care.

I think the blade vs. electric is a matter of convenience. When I used to use a blade and would nick myself, it would set me back a few minutes getting out the door, occasionally stain a shirt collar. I would typically scab for a day or so. My guess is that on Coumadin, the nicks would take even longer to get out the door and would scab a while longer as well.

I like not having to deal with shaving cream. :)

Hello Harry,

I've been using my double blade straight razor for 2 years on Coumadin. I RARELY nick myself but even when I do, it's NO BIG DEAL. MOST of the time, I shave after I shower so the wiskers are pretty well 'softened up'. Also, I use Ivory Liquid Soap and a brush (no shaving cream) which works very well.

I also do a LOT of yardwork with garden tools, including Bow Saws and even a chain saw for cutting up large tree trunks. I'm VERY CAREFUL with the chain saw. I've had a few 'puncture wounds' from the Bow Saws and they do take longer to heal (a few hours) but I DO NOT have what I would call 'severe bleeding'. Yes, those puncture wounds 'flowed' fairly well, but pressure and a tight bandage handled the problem just fine. It's a good idea to have someone around if you are working with sharp tools or might otherwise injure yourself. Also, carry a cell or cordless phone, especially when alone.

'AL'

Hi Harry,
I was also told to use nothing but an electric razor.
Fortunately that is what I was already using.
There are some good ones out there although they are not cheap.
Most electrics shave better over time than when they are brand new.
Don't totally know why that is.
Best of luck to you on the 21st.
Rich

Ross said:
I swear I'd like to get my hands on the people that started these bizarre "You'll bleed to death if you.........." issues.

:D :D :D I agree, Ross. After seven years on the stuff, I've never had a major bleed I couldn't control. They try to scare the scare the crap out of us, don't they?

Agree

Agree

Over 2 years on coumadin..biggest cut was from my cat Rufus giving me a love nip on my arm..sitting at computer.Bled, clotted and I wipe..gone in a day. :D Bonnie

I didn't change to an electric razor either. I can't say I even think about the coumadin when I shave my legs ....and the occasional nic has never been a problem.

I also tried an electric razor prior years ago prior to my AVR last summer. I hated the thing because it always irritated my skin and without shaving cream, I couldn't tell where I shaved and often shaved the same skin twice further aggrevating it.

Anyway, after my AVR I remember one of the nurses telling me I "Had better never use a razor because it could cause some serious bleeding." Personally, I think it's overblown.

I have been using the Gilette Mach 3 razor for the last three years and I have never cut my face. True, the replacement blades are a bit pricey, however I average only one blade per month. I shave M-F and have a light to medium beard so that helps.

I suggest going with what makes you feel better (and smoother). If you do have a small cut, simply splash some aftershave on it and put some pressure on it. 2-3 hours later you should be fine. ;)

I use both, electric and regular razor because the electric just doesn't get close enough. I have to use the razor to get what the electric doesn't.

They told me the nightmare story of using razors too. I don't think it's overblown, I KNOW it's overblown and is more of some urban legend. I cut my face all the time and it doesn't bleed one bit more then normal. I wish these people walking around telling us this crap would just shut up. There is no truth to it.

I was also told in the hospital to use an electic razor to shave. I bought one and couldn't stand using it. It didn't work very well at all. I ended up going back to using a regular double blade razor and have not had any problems. When I do cut myself, it may take a little bit longer to stop bleeding but it is no big deal. I would rather be smooth than have all those stubbles after shaving. I don't know why there are all these horror stories out there about coumadin. Yes, there are some things we coumadin users have to be more careful about, but shaving, teeth cleaning etc....are not any of those things. I would think the only time a cut from shaving would be a concern would be if you were to shave too hard and cut yourself where a main vein is. Not easy to do.

Take Care!
Gail

Shaving is no problem.

However, if you want a different way of looking at it, I just stopped shaving. I told people, tongue in cheek, that because I was on coumadin, I couldn't shave at all any more. I sort of enjoyed the beard for a while.

But then my wife, Shirley, insisted that I have it trimmed regularly, which sort of defeated the purpose for me, so I went back to shaving with my twin blade razor, no problems.

The same people who tell you to hold your coumadin for two days if you're .1 over your range are the same benighted souls who tell you to use an electric razor to shave: no idea what the whole thing's about. I wonder if these guys think we still shave with a straight-edge - I simply can't imagine any other reason to advise an electric razor.

I really feel sorry for those folks who haven't found this site - they just bash around blindly and believe all told to them by those who should know what they're talking about!

I did get an electric razor after my MVR. I've always had a problem slashing my knees, ankles, shinbones, etc., shaving my legs, so I decided to get an electric.
Doesn't shave as close, but I don't have to worry about sticking my hand in my overnight bag and getting cut on a razor blade. I have a battery-operated one for travel, a rechargeable one at home.

They think that you will bleed to death from a razor nick - a fate worse than a gunshot wound.

Nothing was said to me by the hospital folk about my choice of razors. I use both - and even the most serious cut I've ever given myself would be "no biggie" on Coumadin.

If we were still using straight razors and a strop, I think we may have had an issue.

I was unconscious in the ICU for 8 days, and when they finally let me wake up, my very first sensation was a nurse shaving my face with cream and a Bic.

Hi Gang,

It sure is interesting reading all your replies on this. I posted the same question on here a year or ywo ago because I always shaved with a straight edge razor, until my surgery. My doctor's assistant told me to get an electric and stop using my straight edge. These rules they make really do scare the hell out of you.

Anyway, I did, and have used one ever since, Except that on special days when I want to treat myself! I was so surprised to finds that so any of you still shaved with a straight edge after surgery and being on Coumadin, that I decided to go back to using mine every once and a while. Normal everyday stuff, I still use my electric because it is quicker.

Sure was good to get back to the ritual of shaving with a straight edge! If ya know what I mean.

Rob

Johnny Stephens said:
I was unconscious in the ICU for 8 days, and when they finally let me wake up, my very first sensation was a nurse shaving my face with cream and a Bic.
Boy wouldn't you have gotten a load out of me after 45 days! :eek: I think they may have shaved me twice in between, but I had fur all over and nose hair long enough to make an escape ladder.

Latest posts

Back