On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Thank you for your patience while we continue to fine tune the site. All paid registrations will be extended for whatever duration of time it takes us to get things working properly.
See more
See less

INR Level

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INR Level

Hi, has anyone had a 4.2 INR reading. I am usually at 3.0 but got a call from my doctor and my last reading was 4.2. Should I be concerned.

I've had INR readings at 4.2 and higher. At one time, I even had one around 7 (according to a doctor I used to see). It could be that the blood was mishandled, it could be that my then irregular testing actually enabled me to let my INR get out of control).

I use two or three different meters for testing, and one meter may say 3.2 while another says 4.2 (or higher). I don't really let it trouble me to be in the low to mid 4s. At 4 and higher many clinics will get a blood draw to confirm the value.

The easiest way to deal with a 4.2 is probably to add some greens to your diet. Also - try to stay away from sharp objects and to avoid impacts that can cause bruising. In my experience, a 4.2 isn't that big a deal as long as I'm a bit more cautious than usual. When it gets to 5, 6, or above THEN you should confirm with another meter or a blood draw, check with a doctor, and probably consider taking some Vitamin K supplements to bring it down fairly rapidly. A 4.2, though, doesn't really concern me too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoeey2011 View Post
      Hi, has anyone had a 4.2 INR reading. I am usually at 3.0 but got a call from my doctor and my last reading was 4.2. Should I be concerned.
      Careful perhaps, concerned, perhaps not.

I'd also be concerned about their instructions for altering your dose. Let's hope they don't set you up for a see saw.

How often are you getting tested?

Comment

I can beat that - I got up to 9.0 last year after a week of taking my warfarin with grapefruit juice! But I had absolutely no symptoms and may have been that high (or higher) for an entire week. I only found out because I had a blood draw for something unrelated and they threw in the INR just because they already had some blood.

I got oral vit K and was 4.2 in the morning.

Comment

Pellicle's absolutely right. Seeing how they handle a 4.2 may give you a good idea of how they will actually manage your dosing. If the approach is conservative, rather than a knee-jerk (skip a dose instruction or something similar), you're probably okay. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. My Inr is back on track again.

Comment

Working...
            X