Best Style of Martial Arts to Learn While On Coumadin and Implanted Pacemaker?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all, in the next several months to a year once I start feeling better I would like to do some type of martial arts. I want to learn this for self defense. In the event I have to defend myself or family I want to do the most damage without damage being done to me. :wink2:

I understand I wont be able to compete in tournaments, join the UFC, or participate in regular sparing matches for training but I'm sure I can learn how to defend myself with the basics. Diffuse the situation and make an exit. :thumbup:

If I were to have gotten in a fight a few years ago it would involve a lot of hair pulling, biting, and scratching followed by me crying uncle... I want to avoid this in the future. :redface2:

My question is, what is the best martial arts for this when someone is on coumadin and has a pacemaker. Thanks team! :cool2:

I would be more concerned about the pacemaker and martial arts than I would be about warfarin and martial arts. I have never taken up martial arts, but I wouldn't hesitate doing so just because of warfarin. Of course, there are numerous forms of martial arts.
This isn't quite the same, but somewhat similar: a 16YO young man I know is going out for football this fall. He was DXed with diabetes 5 years ago and has been using an insulin pump. A week ago he got an Omnipod, a device that will administer the insulin and which offers advantages over an insulin pump. (A year ago, the teen jumped into a swimming pool while on vacation without taking off the insulin pump, which fried the pump's computer. A new computer had to be overnighted.) I don't know how the Omnipod will fare during a tackle, which is not unlike wondering how a pacemaker will handle if you take any kind of blow in the chest.

Marksmanship?

{Steve runs and hides, grinning. . . }

Nice Steve! I'm seriously thinking about this. I live in California so getting a CCW (carry concealed weapon) permit is close to impossible. I'm a gun owner... In fact I'm a lifetime member of the NRA. Maybe I should move to a different state... But the weather is so nice here. Hmmm.

Hi Julian

I think Aikido might be a good option. I used to practice this and will get back into it soon. It was not a 'bruising' sport but did teach me some key defense moves.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ruby

Hi Julian

I think Aikido might be a good option. I used to practice this and will get back into it soon. It was not a 'bruising' sport but did teach me some key defense moves.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ruby

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking about Aikido. Was a little concern with the arm twisting because of the pacemaker but I've read on a pacemaker forum that people do practice Aikido with pacemakers. I guess time will tell for me, I should probably wait a year before getting involved just to make sure everything is "running" smoothly.

Martial Arts only woks in movies, video games and novels. You would be better off having pepper spray or a weapon such as a gun, billy-stick or brass nuckels.

I have a good bit of Okinawan Kempo in my past, and unless you have years of tournament experience it is not much use for "family protection". This kind of stuff has to be second nature like shaving or brushing your teeth. At best it is only good for one on one conflict, provided your opponent plays fair. If there is more than one bad guy that leave your flank open, or in this case your family open for attack.

Non-lethal weapons can very effective, but they are only as good as your access to them. This means you must have them on your person, and you must maintain a high level of "situation awareness". Never trust anyone who comes in your space,,,, no one!! Many women are victim every year who have a tazer or maze in their purse, but cannot get to it in time. I tell my wife to have it in hand every time she is in a parking lot.

I carry a small LCP luger 380mm in my pocket when we travel or in places that look funny. Some people comment that the 380 will not pack enough punch to protect yourself. Those same people keep their weapon in the glove box, a good 7 seconds away; mine can be on target in just over a second.
Sorry for sounding paranoid, being a former jarhead I just think that way; it can be exhausting

I'm with you on this hook, unfortunately I can't legally carry a gun in California. CCW permits in Los Angeles county don't come easy. In fact the approval rate is like non existent. Taser gun might be doable. : )

Latest posts

Back