Smoking and INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mileena46

I stopped smoking when I had my surgery in July 2009. I was in the hospital so long by the time I got out I had pretty much kicked the habit.

My dad passed away the week before Thanksgiving, and while staying at the hospital I started to smoke again. I very quickly picked up where I had left off and smoked a pack a day within a week. My INR had been stable for months, and the next test was a low reading of 2.4. I didn't change anything and am wondering if smoking can make you need more coumadin? I tried looking this up on the net, but found very conflicting write ups.

My valve...which as you all know is as loud as a door bell seemed to suddenly become louder and my heart seemed to beat harder. My HR also went up a bit, but not much. It has been one week today since I had a cigarette and have no plans to smoke again....but my INR this week was still 2.4 and I had even added 3mg to the weeks total.

Just wondering.....do any of you smoke?

Mileena

Smoking?

Smoking?

Sooooooooooooooo... what do you think your body is trying to tell you about becoming becoming a smoker again? Smoking will kill you. You need to quit, but you already know that.

-Philip

I am not a smoker but I totally agree with Philip. Smoking will kill you. Not good for your valve and heart. Mileena, I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your father.

I have to say Philip
runningSmiley.gif
is the wise man of Christmas 2010 and for that he gets to top the tree
holiday07.gif

with Nelson anf i agreeing THAT IS THREE WISE GUYS
highs.gif

nicotine is a stimulant, and i think it stands to reason that a stimulant will accelerate your metabolism, and your metabolism of drugs too. That's just my opinion, but it seems reasonable. If I started chewing tobacco again, I would expect to need an increase in my dose of coumadin too.

Since I quit three years ago, I've learned that everyone quits, eventually. You know you need to again. That's one of the great fears that keeps me from ever trying another: I sure don't want to go through withdrawal yet again. (The other is the smell.) Smoking probably only affects your INR when you start and when you stop; otherwise, since you smoke roughly the same amount each day, compelled by that internal urge, "Feed me," there's no effect that changes from day to day.

Duff Man is correct -- nicotine stimulates metabolism. That's why smokers tend to put on a little weight when they kick the habit.

Best to ditch those cigarettes permanently, not just because it lowers your INR, but because of what smoking does to your lungs, coronary system, etc.

A co-worker has asthma very bad -- misses quite a bit of work because of it and also migraines -- and she smokes like a chimney. She doesn't get it.......

I stopped smoking when I had my surgery in July 2009. I was in the hospital so long by the time I got out I had pretty much kicked the habit.

My dad passed away the week before Thanksgiving, and while staying at the hospital I started to smoke again. I very quickly picked up where I had left off and smoked a pack a day within a week. My INR had been stable for months, and the next test was a low reading of 2.4. I didn't change anything and am wondering if smoking can make you need more coumadin? I tried looking this up on the net, but found very conflicting write ups.

My valve...which as you all know is as loud as a door bell seemed to suddenly become louder and my heart seemed to beat harder. My HR also went up a bit, but not much. It has been one week today since I had a cigarette and have no plans to smoke again....but my INR this week was still 2.4 and I had even added 3mg to the weeks total.

Just wondering.....do any of you smoke?

Mileena

I'm very sorry to hear your Father passed away.
I was thinking, beside the smoking, my guess it that pretty much everything you normally do day to day has really changed the last few weeks. I know when Justin is in the hospital and I'm there with him, beside all the added stress, my eating is pretty awful and my activity level goes way down since I spent most of the time sitting in his room, or short walks to get food or coffee ect.
Then right after and on top of that your Father passed away. I know when My Mom passed that first week was filled with funerals, running around, eating a lot of junk ect or not eating much ect.
I think the changes could be from a combination of everything, and probably not related to just 1 thing.

Last edited:
Lynn, I think you are right. I lost 7 pounds as well, so maybe it was several things. I just thought since its been a month that I would have bounced back, but this week my INR was still 2.4. I gained the damn weight back already.....looks like my INR would have jumped back as well.

Lots of things can make your INR fluctuate. I'm not going to repeat what's already been said about nicotine or smoking. I'm not sure I'd be all that concerned about a 2.4 -- you're probably at the bottom of your safe range, but this is still better than being a 2.0 or below. Until you are at a level your doctor tells you is the one you want, you may want to test a bit more frequently than usual -- but without making a lot of changes. You do NOT want to start an INR roller coaster.

As others have prescribed - slow changes, usually not more than 5% a week - if you are still uncomfortable being at 2.4, and if your INR is stable at 2.4.

It's good to hear that you've kicked the addiction again -- you'll do just fine...

Latest posts

Back