Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Self Registrations have now been re-enabled. Due to the wonderful world of Spammers, those registering will be required to answer every question in the form..
See more
See less

How long for alcohol to affect INR?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for alcohol to affect INR?

I am planning on going to the local winery tomorrow. I know there is a lot of discussion/disagreement about whether alcohol affects the INR or how (increase or decrease). My question is this--if the wine does affect my INR, how long will it take? I know a change in warfarin takes about 3 days to affect the INR. Would the alcohol effect be immediate or would it take some days? I have done a lot of reading and can't find anything on this subject (how long it would take). I am having my INR checked on Tuesday. Thanks for any input you may have. Mary
    Modified Bentall aortic root replacement with a
    number 23 St. Jude valve conduit
    Replacement of ascending aorta with a
    number 28 Hemashield graft using right axillary cannulation
    Dr. Richard Mellitt, Boone Hospital Center, Columbia, MO, May 3, 2010

Go and enjoy yourself ... as long as you don't go ape ship crazy you should not have any problems...
    No shoes, no shirt, no problem
    AVR with Ablation -St Jude Mechanical--2006
    ~Easy Does It~

The early bird get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

as the saying goes "everything in moderation"
      [CENTER][B][U]Live ,Love, Laugh
      It's all good[/U][/B]
      [IMG]http://files.vector-images.com/clipart/smiley190.gif[/IMG]
      [SIZE="3"][B][U]READ ABOUT ME HERE [/U][/B][/SIZE]
      [B][U]2007 [/U][/B][URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35064-Radical-Sternectomy&p=453639#post453639"]http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35064-Radical-Sternectomy&p=453639#post453639[/URL]
      [B][U]My MEDS [/U][/B] [URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37469-meds&p=487171#post487171"]http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37469-meds&p=487171#post487171[/URL]
      [IMG]http://netanimations.net/Moving-animated-police-chase-and-gun-fight.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/images/smilies/10_1_112.gif[/IMG] [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks. We intend to share at least one bottle over lunch and an afternoon of live music--we may go crazy and share a second bottle.

Comment

To be honest, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought.
          Cris

I believe in small miracles.
          St. Jude Mitral Valve 5/16/05

Comment

Some people here have reported their INR raises if they drink and some report it lowers. Others no change........

It is impossible to predict how your body will react but were it me, I'd go and have a good time. I took coumadin briefly after tissue valve replacement and all my doctors approved a glass or two of wine. None had any issue with moderate enjoyment of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooker View Post
              Go and enjoy yourself ... as long as you don't go ape ship crazy you should not have any problems...
              I second that commotion......uh, motion
              Happy Trails,

BAV-1999 - St. Jude Silzone recalled valve still clickin'
              CoaguChek testing since 1999
              CoaguChek S testing since 2002
              CoaguChek XS testing since 2009
              "Gee, ain't it funny how time jus' slips away..."

Comment

I've just come back from a great afternoon at the winery. We had a great lunch, live music and we shared just 1 bottle of wine. I had about 2 1/2 glasses. I have my INR checked Tues and will get INR results on Wed am. I will let you know if my INR is out of wack. Thanks again. It really is so comforting to know that I have all of you out there to answer questions, etc. Hopefully, one day I will have enough time and experience behind me that I will be able to help. Mary

Comment

Alcohol?

Monitor, monitor, monitor...

As others have indicated, it varies among individuals. I did some drinking at a family wedding on Saturday. I'll probably run an extra check on my INR on Monday just to see where I'm at.

-Philip

Comment

I'm not self-testing yet--wish I were. I've spent several weeks with Roche and my ins company going thru hoops. I think they will pay but I just haven't gone thru enough hoops yet. So I'm still at the mercy of the lab and the coumadin clinic.

Comment

FYI I got my INR results today (from lab work yesterday). After going to the winery on Sunday--my INR is exactly what it was 2 weeks ago--3.1. So my 2-3 glasses of wine had no effect on the INR.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. How good you now have an idea how your body will process that quanity wine and can relax and enjoy in the future.

Comment

Go get blasted !!!.
                          sigpic
                          Brigham and Women Hopsital -Dr.Shekar OHS- June 1,09
                          AVR-St.Jude Mechanical Valve. (25VAVGJ-515)
                          Ascending/Transverse Arch Aortic Replacement

Nelson

Comment

Keep in mind that it takes 24 hours for alcohol to get absorb into ones system.
                            To have gotten an actuate reading if the wine had affected your INR you should have tested Monday morning. (I know Monday was a holiday)

Getting test results a day later is really unacceptable. I'm not going to get into this as there are other threads on this topic.
                            Laughter is the Best Medicine
                            MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done in 5 days in Canada

Comment

I know. I can't wait until I start home testing. I would really like to do self dosing as well, but my cardiologist doesn't do that. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X