Warfarin and Tylenol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone experienced with Extra Strength Tylenol's effect on INR?

Well not sure if there is a connection but......I've been having a low-grade headache everyday for about 2 weeks now & I take one X-stra strength Tylenol tablet almost daily to take it away. I checked my INR last night & it was 4.7. Last week it was 4.6, so I'm wondering.......:confused:

I have been taken tylenol on fairly regular basis as I have been suffering from headaches for about a month almost daily. I just had my inr tested yesterday and it was at 2.66. So it doesn't seem to affect my inr but then everyone is different and it may affect others inr.

I had a 6.5 INR a few weeks ago and the only thing I had taken was hydrocodine.. a couple of days in a row I took 1 each day for a few things and my PT clinic said even though Tylenol is suggested over aspirin, that it does affect your PT/INR. This was the first I had heard of this though??

I had a 6.5 INR a few weeks ago and the only thing I had taken was hydrocodine.. a couple of days in a row I took 1 each day for a few things and my PT clinic said even though Tylenol is suggested over aspirin, that it does affect your PT/INR. This was the first I had heard of this though??

I do hope your not believing everything your clinic is telling you. You'd have to overdose on Tylenol for it to affect your INR. ;)

However, Hylek et al. found that if a person takes more than 26 regular- strength (325 mg each) or 19 extra-strength (500 mg each) over one week, the International Normalized Ratio (INR) may be raised. This will increase the chance of a person bleeding.

Thanks for commenting

Thanks for commenting

It's hard to know what to think. For several months my INR has been stable on a continuing dose of warfarin.

Last week I injured my knee and took three 500 mgs XS Tylenol for two succesisve days followed by 1 tablet on day three. My INR went up 1 full point. Manager thinks Tylenol the culprit. Because my knee hurt so much I wasn't moving around, couldn't climb the stairs to the second floor where my computer is. I did have both flu shots at this time.

I suppose should my INR unexpectedly drop Tylenol would shoot it up again.

This is a hard one.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
2 flu shots and not so much excercise is a great reason for INR to rise. That's what I'd be blaming anyhow.

I do hope your not believing everything your clinic is telling you. You'd have to overdose on Tylenol for it to affect your INR. ;)

No, I don't believe everything they say.. see, I thought it was strange she said that because I've been on coumadin 10 years and I have never been told that! This is why I'm trying to get my own machine at home.. the people at this clinic are driving me nuts! I don't agree at all with the way I've been regulated since moving here. Several years ago when I was at another clinic in another town, they were awesome and kept me regulated to a "T". This clinic, I could be way off the charts and they'll just say "Oh, stop your coumadin tonight (or increase if needed) and see you in a month"... that is just NOT right!

Sorry folks

Sorry folks

Without a doubt the acetamoniphen has impacted my INR. Everyone is different. My INR has not been this unstable since I started home testing. So I Googled tylenol and warfarin and found many threads. One posted by the Cleveland Clinic was especially informing.

Doses over 1500 mgs per day will raise INR levels just as I have been experiencing. 1500 mgs is within the recommended range for pain relief when using Tylenol ES or Tylenol/arthritis.

So heads up when using 1500 mgs or more per day. 1500 mgs did nothing for the pain I was suffering so it was bad news from every perspective.

Latest posts

Back