Took two doses today of Coumadin!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorraine

Okay everybody. I just realized as I went to take my evening meds, that I accidentally took a second dose of my 5:30pm meds of my Coumadin! I had a very trying day, as I was on jury duty. Instead of reaching for my evening meds pill box, I took my 5:30pm meds (which was my Coumadin). So what should I do tomorrow? Skip the does of Coumadin, take half the dose? As soon as I popped the pills in my mouth and swallowed, I realized I took the wrong pills. I then took my evenings pills but am now trying to figure out , what I should do with my dose of Coumadin tomorrow. Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Lorraine

GOOD Question !

What is your INR Range?
What was you last INR reading?

How well do you trust your Coumadin Manager
(or are you self testing / dosing)?

I always hate to Skip Doses, but I've never taken a Double Dose (that I am aware of).

I'm thinking taking 1/2 dose for 2 days might be a less 'disturbing' option but I would recommend getting a professional from someone you trust.

I do recall AL Lodwick saying that he didn't "think" taking a double dose for One Day would be dangerous but I forgot what he said to do on the following days.

'AL C'

So you did an oops. Just continue on your regular schedule and plan on being a little high this week, but it'll be fine the week after.

AL C: My range is 2.5-3.5. I have two mechanicals and my dose is 8mg a day. So lasr night I ended up taking 16mg for the day!:eek: I do self test sometimes but since I still have a hard time getting the drop of blood I need, I mostly go get tested. I have tried everyones technique to get the blood when I prick my finger, but it's only once in a while that I can actually get a good sample. I do self dose to an extent. What I mean is if I go in for my INR and let's say it's 4.2. The nurse may tell me to hold a day and I tell them I won't do that, and tell them what I'm comfortable to do. An they do listen to me. After 9 years of being on Coumadin, they know I know my body better than they do.

Ross: Normally I wouldn't even worry about the double dose, but I had a few more beers than normal over the weekend. So my INR is probably a little higher already. I'm suppose to go get tested this Friday.

I know if I call the nurse she will tell me to hold. That was why I was wondering if I should just take half my dose today or just cut back my dose by a 1/3 (or almost a 1/3) over the next two or three days. That way I would get my average dose in for the week. Then again maybe I should just do my normal dose and just drink some v-8 and lots of:D greens!

I appreciate your responses and respect what is said. Thanks!

Lorraine ~~ your double-dose probably won't show up until tomorrow or the day after, so testing today probably wouldn't tell you much..

Can't say as I've double-dosed (small miracle)....but what I would do is half today and tomorrow and hope to be in range.

I tested at 5.8 last evening....and am on 8.5mg, so today I'm taking 5mg and 5mg again tomorrow. Ain't it fun...:D

Eat something really high in soy, drink a bottle of Ensure..... Isn't that high in Vitamin K? Stir fry up a bag of spinach. If you eat it cooked, you'll eat more than just a spinach salad. A combination of all that has to bring down your INR at least some.

Eat something really high in soy, drink a bottle of Ensure..... Isn't that high in Vitamin K? Stir fry up a bag of spinach. If you eat it cooked, you'll eat more than just a spinach salad. A combination of all that has to bring down your INR at least some.

Take 1/2 dose tonight.....and test in a few days.

I would also drink a couple of 'red bulls'. The week I drank it, my INR went down and I tried this to see if it is true...it did affect my INR.

Janie: How are you GF! Yeah, I figured testing wouldn't show anything today anyway. I can see I was on the right track to at least half the dose one or two days. I'm leaning more towards doing it for two days, since as I said I had a few more to drink than normal over the weekend. We went up to see my brother who had tongue cancer(tongue and voice box has been removed) a few years ago, Then this spring he had cancer near his lymph nodes which radiation seems to be shrinking, now he has cancer in his cheek that they found out from a pet scan he had done. He can only drink liquids, so besides the nourishing drinks like ensure etc, he still drinks his rum and coke! He treated me, his wife and one of my sisters out for dinner, and while we ate, he sat at the bar and drank. My sister and I had a beer at the bar before dinner, and another with dinner. My sister-in-law doesn't drink. Then he insisted on buying me a chocolate martini, made with Godiva chocolate. I never drink hard liqour any more but boy was that chocolate martini wonderful :D It was delicious, but along with the couple of beers I had, it was more than my quota, so that was why I was concerned about accidentally taking a double dose of Coumadin Monday.

JKM7: In hindsight I should have taken one of my brothers ensures home with me. :D No spinach in the house either..

Eva: No Red Bull in the house either. Thanks for the tip, maybe I should get some as a back up. :D I do have v8 though.

Bina: Thanks! For sure the half dose today, but as I told Janie, since I'm sure my INR was a little on the high side already, I'll probably half dose for two days. I do go for a test on Friday, but I may test myself on Thursday to see where I stand, if I can get that darn drop of blood. The one thing I haven't tried is taking a warm shower and then testing. I'll try that. I've tried everything else everyone has suggested when I've brought this subject up before.

I thank everyone for their inputs. I kind of knew what I ought to do, but it is always good to ask others who are experienced too. Last night as soon as I swallowed I realized I took the wrong pills and just panicked, wishing I could get the pills back. I wasn't going to try to upchuck to do that thought. :eek: I appreciate everyone's help.

Personally, I still wouldn't worry about it. It will all even out in 14 days. If it really really bothers you, just skip a dose and resume. The beer isn't going to have much, if any affect on INR, so don't sweat it. Nobody is perfect, er, well um, except my wife.

Gina: I did try soaking the hands in warm water. Maybe I didn't soak them long enough. That's why I thought maybe just getting my whole body warm to circulate the blood may work. I just haven't tried it yet. I will tomorrow.

Ross: It isn't the beer I was worried about, it was the vodka in the martini, besides having the beer. An I am do to test on Friday, not 4 weeks from now. Of course Saturday I'm going for a teeth cleaning and I will be taking my antibiotics too, which usually raises my INR. I know they say you don't have to take antiobiotics any more for cleanings, but I prefer to do it anyway, and my cardio still writes me prescriptions for it. Thanks for your thoughts! An your so right! No one is prefect! :rolleyes: well as you said except for your wife!:D

Hi Lorraine,

The doctors office told you to " Take two aspirins and call them in the morning" !!! :eek: Not Coumadin!!

Please keep us posted on what you did to counter this, and what the results were.

Hope all goes well..

Rob

Rob! You are soo funny! I'll let you all know what my INR ends up being Friday! Like I said, I do think I will just take half my dose for two days. Let's see what happens. It good to hear from you! I hope your doing well! Take care my friend.

What are we going to do with you LoRain? How are you my friend? :) Miss our chats. Keep us posted on your levels.

Wanted to see if we could shoot for a Sunday impromptu sometime this month? Next couple of weeks are tight....perhaps sometime thereafter. If we plan it mid week, I have a feeling we will stick to "the plan":)

Take care and give me a shout when you are ready to go!

Sue: I appreciate your advise. As I said though I was concerned about taking a full dose yesterday because of the drinking i had done over the weekend. So I did only half a dose yesterday. I do think I will do my regular dose today and test tomorrow. Will keep everyone posted.

Gina: Yeah, what are we going to do with me? Normally I'm more worried when I miss a dose, as I drop like a bomb!:eek: I never had double dosed on Coumadin before!

I think we could work something out to get together. Sunday's would be better, but I'm not opposed to mid week. I'm free on a Sunday a few weeks from now, if you want to set a day. There is a restaurant as the far end of Fox River Grove (closer to Lake Zurich) if you would like to meet there. Or we could meet in Lake Zurich too, if you know some place around there. Of course if we can get some of the other locals to join us, we may want to make it more centralized. Take care GF!

How does 10-18 look for you? If not, pick a week night, any day other than wednesday...and I will meet you in CL :). Love that Around the Clock :). What's the name of the place on the far end of the Fox? Is that the Broken Oar? Send me a PM on FB or email to work out the details!

Are you finished with Jury Duty? I had Grand Jury Duty last year. Which was three months! I kept getting sick. The third time (bad flu) my doctor wanted to know what the heck was going on. He said I should not be sitting in a confined area for x number of hours a day....if it could be avoided. He wrote me out of there! It was an experience. But not worth being sick for 2 months over!

Hi Gina: 10/18 looks fine. Name the time and I'll be there.

When I get my INR taken Friday I'll let everyone know the results. Thanks everyone for all your inputs. I was going to test myself tomorrow, but since it's been so long since I tried, my strips are outdated. :( I had to order more!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know my INR was 2.7 today. I did only hold half a dose on Tuesday and resumed my normal 8mg for Wed & Thurs! I'm in range, but I'd rather be a little higher. All is well. Thanks again for all of your advise.

Latest posts

Back