Tart Cherry Juice and Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRM-Mom

Has anyone heard about the anti inflammatory benefits of tart cherry juice? I want to try it, but I am not sure if there is an interaction or affect on coumadin dose. If anyone knows, please comment.
Thanks,
Barb
(CRM-mom)

Yes, I have heard that this juice is beneficial. If you want to drink it, do so and do a test a couple days later to see if it affects the coumadin level and adjust coumadin accordingly.

Where are you finding this juice? I looked at several markets today and didn't find any. I would also like to start using it and have read many good articles on it.

We've been taking tart cherry, pomegranate and blueberry juice for a number of years.

Peter finds it helpful with his knee joints.

I get it online from brownwoodacres.com by the case and freeze it until needed.

They have also have dried fruit, softgel capsules and fruit supplement bars.

Are these juices high in sugar? I'd like to try the blueberry juice and the tart cherry but don't like high sugary drinks.

Thanks.

You can get pure juice. The cranberry IS TART. I suspect that Tart Cherry is, too.
I'm not sure about the blueberry.

Cherries contain anthocyanins, the same chemicals that give tart cherries their color, may have more powerful anti-inflammatory effects than aspirin.

Generally, tart cherries are darker in colour and have been found to have higher concentrations of anthocyanins and phenolics than sweet cherries.

Chokeberries contain approx. 1,480mg Anthocyanin per 100g fruit
Black Raspberry - 589mg
Wild Blueberry - 558mg
Cherry - 350-400mg
Eggbland - 750mg
Red Grape - 888mg
Purple Corn 1,642mg

Personally, I like the flavour of the blueberry concentrate over the cherry.

Are these juices high in sugar? I'd like to try the blueberry juice and the tart cherry but don't like high sugary drinks.

Thanks.

I find the tart cherry juice too tart. I don't have a sweet tooth but as is (in water), it has some pucker factor.

In diet 7-UP it is great - a nice long drink. Peter likes his mixed in with his OJ too.

The tart cherry juice we get from Brownwoodacres.com 15g of sugar per 1oz of concentrate.

They also have blueberry, pomegranate, red raspberry (yum) and concord grape concentrates.

I hope it's OK to post the link - I don't own shares in the company or anything! LOL http://www.brownwoodacres.com/fruit_juice_concentrates/

I can't drink pomegranate juice straight because of an interaction with my high dose of Statins (80 mg. Lipitor). I haven't heard of problems with tart cherry juice, but will have to check because it does sound like a good idea. I already buy frozen, unsweetened tart cherries to eat with plain yoghurt, but a splash of said juice in a glass of San Pellegrino sounds like a tea-totaler's idea of heaven. I'm only temporarily totaling my tea, until I get my taste buds back (don't want to waste good wine), but it would be nice to have something pretty and tasty to drink in the mean time.

I can't drink pomegranate juice straight because of an interaction with my high dose of Statins (80 mg. Lipitor). I haven't heard of problems with tart cherry juice, but will have to check because it does sound like a good idea. I already buy frozen, unsweetened tart cherries to eat with plain yoghurt, but a splash of said juice in a glass of San Pellegrino sounds like a tea-totaler's idea of heaven. I'm only temporarily totaling my tea, until I get my taste buds back (don't want to waste good wine), but it would be nice to have something pretty and tasty to drink in the mean time.

Peter has been on Lipitor (40mg) for a long time. No one warned us about pomegranate or grapefruit juices for that matter (ain't the internet a wonderful thing! :p).

I can find no reference to issues with tart cherry or blueberry concentrates for statin users.

I drank tart cheery juice while training for the marathon...a local company in Seneca. NY makes it...available at Wegman's grocery stores and on line, called CherryPharm.

Latest posts

Back