Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Self Registrations have now been re-enabled. Due to the wonderful world of Spammers, those registering will be required to answer every question in the form..
See more
See less

My INR today was 4.5!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My INR today was 4.5!

I went in today to have my INR tested it was 4.5, wow! Never been that high before I take 10mg a day she told me to take 5mg tonight and 5mg tomorrow night, she did not want me to skip because she did not want it to come down so quickly. I am suppose to be between 3.0 and 3.5 but I really feel better at about 2.8. I do not do home testing yet but am going to start. What do you suggest I do to get it down? I like to have all the advise I can! Thanks a Million!
    [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]"Glad to be alive by God's Grace"![/COLOR]
    [COLOR="blue"][COLOR="red"]"If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it":)[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Red"]Nov 06 Replacement of Aortic Heart Valve St.Jude! Bentall procedure done to repair my 6cm anueuysm St Dominic Hospital Dr Gerhard Mundinger my wonderful Surgeon,& Dr. Clay Hayes Jr. All the Wonderful nurses, surgical team! And of course the Sisters that prayed for me everyday! Along with my 88 year old daddy that made me walk with him everyday! God Bless! each one of you![/COLOR][/B]

So your INR is 4.5.....NO big deal at all.....I would take 5 mg (half dose) tonight only and leave it at that.
    It is far better to be a tiny bit higher than to be too low.
    BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
    INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

Comment

Originally posted by terodac View Post
      I went in today to have my INR tested it was 4.5, wow! Never been that high before I take 10mg a day she told me to take 5mg tonight and 5mg tomorrow night, she did not want me to skip because she did not want it to come down so quickly. I am suppose to be between 3.0 and 3.5 but I really feel better at about 2.8. I do not do home testing yet but am going to start. What do you suggest I do to get it down? I like to have all the advise I can! Thanks a Million!
      Nothing to panic about! 4.5 is NOT that high! Your lab tech was correct in telling you to take 1/2 tonight instead of skipping altogether.

Personally, and I take 10mg daily too & on the 7th day, I take 7.5, when my INR is at this level 4.0 - 4.8, I'll 1/2 for one night & then resume my usual dose the next day but if she wants you to take 1/2 tomorrow also, then do that.

When does she want to re-test? You might have to start sticking a 7.5 dose in there if the 10mg is putting you over the mark. I too, feel better when I'm on 3.0 or a little less although they say that you cannot feel anything when you are either high or low, but I know I can! And I've been on coumadin for 34 years!

Hopefully the next time you test, you'll be on the mark.
      Best Regards,
      N Jean (New Mexico)

May/1975: AVR & MVR Double-Valves (Cooley-Cutter Mechanicals)
      Dec/1975: MV Repair -- Re-suture Mitral Mech. Valve (Dr. Denton Cooley)
      Mar/2006: AVR -- Old Valve Replaced w/St. Jude Mechanical (Dr. Reul)

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
      - Marie Curie

Comment

I remembered we were in a panic the first time my husbands INR was over 4.0. I came here to VR and they calmed my fears. He takes 7.5 daily and he took 6.0 for 3 days retested and was at 3.3. Now we no longer panic when its over 4.0 and know what to do.
        Sue(wife of patient-Terry)
        BAV diagnosed-11/00
        ATS Mechanical Valve-9/11/01

Comment

no drama

i remember testing myself at 4.0 inr 2 days after i left hospital and being pretty worried. these days i sometimes hit 4.5 inr, but that does not worry me too much.

it is much better to be 4.5 than 1.1 inr!

Comment

3.0 - 3.5 is too tight a range. Given that your INR # can have a .3 variability - it doesn't leave much room.

The directions you were given aren't bad. I take 10/day and probably would just 1/2 it for one day. But I've been on "the stuff" for over 17 years, so I'm pretty in tune with how my body handles dosage adjustments. You'll learn too.

Why do you feel better at 2.8? Most of us prefer to be at the top of our range, knowing that it's much easier to lower a too high INR than to raise a too low INR.

(Psssst - I've been a lot higher than 4.5 with no issues. So don't be too worried. )

Comment

There is always the question of "was this an erroneous measurment".
              MY Coumadin Clinic does a Lab Draw for any INR over 4.5 as a 'double check'.

Personally, I would take 1/2 Dose for ONE night (not two) and retest in 4 to 7 days. (AL Lodwick recommends waiting 2 weeks to retest which is probably OK... I just like to know a little sooner... NEVER test in less than 4 days after a change in dose... that can lead to a 'roller-coaster' effect)

I like to 'ease back' into range with Small Changes to avoid the Roller-Coaster Effect. Fortunately, my Coumadin Clinic seems to follow the same philosophy.

'AL Capshaw'

Comment

If I am between 2.5 and 5.0 I'm a happy Chimp .... if you try and keep to tight of range you will drive yourself nuts
                No shoes, no shirt, no problem
                AVR with Ablation -St Jude Mechanical--2006
                ~Easy Does It~

The early bird get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

She told me it most likely were the antibotics I was on to clear up a sinus infection! I was taking ciprofloxin? and she said it was very strong and would throw my INR way off. I ate a salad yester day and some other green stuff took 5mg last night did not take my baby asprin tonight I will do my 5mg also not baby asprin. I am going back to get it tested again on Monday! So sick of running down there I am going to home testing! 6.5 would have just put me right over the top of a nervous breakdown! Good Luck to you! And thanks for all the good advise! I really appreciate it!
                  [COLOR="blue"][COLOR="red"]"If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it":)[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Red"]Nov 06 Replacement of Aortic Heart Valve St.Jude! Bentall procedure done to repair my 6cm anueuysm St Dominic Hospital Dr Gerhard Mundinger my wonderful Surgeon,& Dr. Clay Hayes Jr. All the Wonderful nurses, surgical team! And of course the Sisters that prayed for me everyday! Along with my 88 year old daddy that made me walk with him everyday! God Bless! each one of you![/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Don't overdo your dosage correction....you are freaking out for nothing.
                    Two half doses is a large correction, you don't need to binge on greens. Relax......
                    BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
                    INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

Comment

I agree with the above recommendations!! trust them!! When I needed help with my dosage adjustment, I followed our friends' advice here and not the doctor's recommendation....I was fine. I am not an expert yet, but I agree not to overdo the dosage correction.
                      Eva

Aortic & Mitral valves replaced with St. Jude Mechanical valves @ age 57 on 9/2/08

INR home tester/Coagucheck

Forum Rules: " .... medical opinions expressed in this forum are the personal opinions of individuals. No person should at any time
                      act on the information contained herein without the express consent of your own physician."

Comment

Ok! Today I went in for a recheck of my 4.5, did what I was told cut my 10mg dose in half on Wed & Thurs. nights, also took it on myself to only take 7.5 on Friday night. Today Monday! it was 1.9?? I just can't believe this drop in five days, I get a recheck next Monday! I did eat a salad and avocado dip and a few green beans during this time, it sure was good. Does anyone understand why it would drop like that? This INR crap is driving me up a wall! Help me, I am sick of it!

Comment

another misery loves company post..

Hi there terodoc. Same song, second verse.. I tested at 1.8 Sunday morning so I took 14mg Sunday morning and 12 mg this morning. My usual dose is also 10mg. I have no explanation for my drop. I blame it on being Catholic..

I feel the same as you about this crappy a$$ warfarin stuff. Maybe we need a double pomegranate martini this evening..
                          Happy Trails,

BAV-1999 - St. Jude Silzone recalled valve still clickin'
                          CoaguChek testing since 1999
                          CoaguChek S testing since 2002
                          CoaguChek XS testing since 2009
                          "Gee, ain't it funny how time jus' slips away..."

Comment

Yea she told me to take 15mg tonight lay off green! I would love a Martini! I use to enjoy that also! I think I will start drinking again, he did tell me a could have a few oz of wine a night, I just haven't gone there YET! I feel it is coming soon! LOL! I looked up pomegranate juice the other day and it does not have much vit k in it, was on the low side! Does anyone drink and take warfarin?

Comment

Well, you can add me to the see-saw too! I tested last night & my INR was 4.5. The week before it had been 3.6 so I made no changes to my dosage taking 10mg for 6 nights & 7.5mg one night.

So last night when I got 4.5, I took 5mg instead of my usual 10mg & I'm sticking 2 nights of 7.5 & check again next Sunday & see where I am.

Only thing that has changed was I started taking the revatio again so perhaps that has something to do with. I'm not worried about it however, because since I have a home tester, I can test next week & stay on top of it.

I'm not sure that I agree with your lab telling you to stay away from the greens because you DO NOT dose the diet. You should be able to eat what you want to eat with consistency of course!

Good luck & I hope you get back on range.
                              Best Regards,
                              N Jean (New Mexico)

May/1975: AVR & MVR Double-Valves (Cooley-Cutter Mechanicals)
                              Dec/1975: MV Repair -- Re-suture Mitral Mech. Valve (Dr. Denton Cooley)
                              Mar/2006: AVR -- Old Valve Replaced w/St. Jude Mechanical (Dr. Reul)

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
                              - Marie Curie

Comment

Working...
                              X