Tattoos and warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kingpeta

Hi all,

Haven't posted here in a LONG time! I am 3+ years post op for aortic valve replacement. I have been and will be on warfarin for the rest of my life. Suggested INR range is 2.5-3.5. Well, recent life changes (divorce, etc) has me thinking about a tattoo! Has anyone here any real experiences to relate as far as getting a tattoo while on warfarin therapy? There is so much crap on the internet - so many misinformed opinions, etc. and I'd like to hear from real people with real experiences.

My gut is saying it's fine to do. I understand I may bleed longer than usual but hell I've had some not too minor cuts & stuff over the years that I've dealt with just fine. I talked to a tat artist last night and all he said was to ask my doc. He seemed willing to do it otherwise. Yeah, I know I should do that but I want to hear from real people too. Any horror stories to relate? Pros & cons?

The most logical argument I've read is that the tattoo may bleed out some of the ink and not look as good as if done on someone not on warfarin.

Any stories are appreciated. And hi to all my old friends here if they're still around!

Pee

People have done it. You can do a search for tattoo and you'll see some success stories I think. My surgeon said no more tattoos and I'm pre-op... tattoos do get infected. Just fyi. There's a small risk of endocarditis, etc.

Someone posted not too long ago showing off thier new ink. I'm going in for my post op check up and that question is in my top 3. I had an appointment to get my next one 2 days before my surgery. So I'm on hold right now. I'll post with what the Docs at Hopkins say next Wednseday.

We've spoken about this before and we tell ppl to get tatted before surgery, if possible.
Most places won't do it if you are on anti-clotting meds.
I think in the TOOTS forum we have a guy showing his zipper tatt.

In my personal situation, whereas it is only an eyebrow tattoo, my cardio okeyed this to me but not before six months in my case and to premedicate one hour before the procedure with 2000mg of Amoxicillin!

I was advised by a Tattoo artist that the risk of a bleed under the skin makes it a no no
He explained that he would not want to be responsible for putting a tattoo on a person that did not look good, as once it's done there is no going back.
As he said his reputation is also on the line
so really it's your call,

cheers

Jan

I asked the surgeons NP today about the tattoo issue. She was astounded I wanted another.(I didn't tell her I had my next 4 planned out.) She said no. But I think honestly she doesn't like tattoos. I'm gonna ask my cardio.

I asked the surgeons NP today about the tattoo issue. She was astounded I wanted another.(I didn't tell her I had my next 4 planned out.) She said no. But I think honestly she doesn't like tattoos. I'm gonna ask my cardio.

One thing that some have run into, the tat's can begin to look like crap shortly after being done by even the best artists. This is why so many of them won't touch a Coumadin patient. Now it doesn't happen to everyone, but I have seen a few. All I can blame it on is bleeding under the skin, mixing with the ink and spreading out. It really has screwed some folks up. Be careful.

I've seem a few photos of tatoos post op on here I'm sure ? It would seem that you need to take antibiotics before hand, much like having dental work ?
But having seen what Ross and others have said about them running and spoiling and losing their sharpness through bleeding I'd say it's a huge gamble because you cant exactly rub it off afterwards !? I dont think I'd bother if I were you ?
Remember, less is more and none is best....

I've seem a few photos of tatoos post op on here I'm sure ? It would seem that you need to take antibiotics before hand, much like having dental work ?
But having seen what Ross and others have said about them running and spoiling and losing their sharpness through bleeding I'd say it's a huge gamble because you cant exactly rub it off afterwards !? I dont think I'd bother if I were you ?
Remember, less is more and none is best....

I just wanted to say Justin was NOT on coumadin when he had his zipper tattoo. The other guy(can't remeber name) was, but I thought I read he had an earlier tattoo that got messed up because of the coum. (Justin DID take tons of antibiotic before and after tho since he had them left over from his sternal infection) Also his tat guy asked him IF he was on Coumadin before he would do it.

My tat artist told me He will not touch me, if or when I get on bloodthinners. He told me that good honest tattoo artist will say no too. They got a rep and a business to think about.I have 17 of them and after my surgery I am retired from getting anymore. I reccommend anyone with a heart problem to take antibiotics before and after a tattoo because it is a minor surgery being performed on your body that makes you bleed.

Latest posts

Back