Help! INR is 6.4

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chrisandgary

Hi all!
My hubby just took his inr test and it is 6.4
He just had a tooth pulled about 2 weeks ago and the antibiotics gave him such diarreha that he finally stopped taking them. Now tonite he tested his INR and it is really high at 6.4. Should I call the doctor or go to the ER?
I am starting to panic.
thanks!

More information may be needed.
Example:
When was his last dose of antibiotics?
What is the dosage of warfarin is he on?
What is his range?

Try not to panic - skip a dose. There is a good possibility that the antibiotics have raised his INR - providing the antibiotics have been recently stopped.

Sorry this is all I can offer and try to retest in 3 days.

I'm trying to find a thread for you from someone recently whose INR was even higher...I'll let you know if I find it.

You could call your local ER or on-call doctor and see what they say. Skip the Coumadin for today.
Make sure he has no blood in his urine or bowel movements-for tonight anyway,
and feed him some high Vitamin K foods....cooked spinach, etc.

I would retest. If I got another INR in that range, I would call my doc for advice. He would probably tell me to go to ER to knock INR back in range. I am conservative in dealing with warfarin.

thanks guys!
He did not take todays dose - he tested first - he takes his meds before bedtime.
He stopped the antibiotics (clindamycin) about 5 days ago - but still has diarehha!
He alternates a 7.5 mg and a 10 mg of coumadin - so every other day is a 7.5.

Chris,

You have to do what you and Gary feel is most comfortable for you. Definitely test again to make sure. I have been this high and was fine.

If the INR is still high, skip today's dose. I would take 1/2 dose tomorrow and then test again the next day before taking the coumadin and see where things are. With taking 7.5/day, he should drop fairly quickly.

However, that is just me and I am not a doctor. You might be best at least calling your doctor to get some guidance.

Chris,

Clindamycin is a powerful antibiotic. The fact that Gary still has diarrhea is a reminder of that. As long as he has diarrhea, his body cannot produce the natural vitamin K in his intestinal tract, and his INR will remain high. The 1st thing you have to do is slow down his gut, and get things performing normally.

6.4 isn't panic time, but it is time to cut back. Skipping today is alright. Maybe 1/2 his dose tomorrow. Then resume. Test tomorrow or Saturday to see where the INR is.

Getting the diarrhea under control is paramount though.

I believe it was Blanche who recently posted about her hubby having a similar INR along with his diarrhea.
You could dig out her thread on it.
I would also skip today's dose and take half tomorrow, then half on Saturday--if needed and according to what your doc recommends.
Don't forget the spinach omelet for breakfast :)

If he's not bleeding, he should be fine. If he's still having diarrhea, it may irritate the bowel and cause some bleeding, so tell him to watch that.

I've been higher than that several times in 17 years without anything happening. So have him take some deep breaths. It can be a bit scary.

Depending on what his dose is, he'll want to hold for 1 or 2 days. The more Coumadin you take, the more quickly your INR drops. I take around 70/week and would only hold 1 day for his INR.

I'd hold tonight's and call the doc in the a.m. for additional instructions.

IF (and it's a big if) he starts bleeding from somewhere and goes to the ER, ask them to use fresh frozen plasma to bring the INR down and not a Vit. K shot. Vit. K will most likely take his INR too low and make it hard to bring back up again.

Chris,

Clindamycin is a powerful antibiotic. The fact that Gary still has diarrhea is a reminder of that. As long as he has diarrhea, his body cannot produce the natural vitamin K in his intestinal tract, and his INR will remain high. The 1st thing you have to do is slow down his gut, and get things performing normally.

What's his normal dose per week? If he takes more than 5mg per day (35mg/week) then his INR will drop quickly.

6.4 isn't panic time, but it is time to cut back. Skipping today is alright. Maybe 1/2 his dose tomorrow. Then resume. Test tomorrow or Saturday to see where the INR is.

Getting the diarrhea under control is paramount though.

This was told to me by my doctor to help with diarrhea: 1/2 Gatotaide with 1/2 water along with a dose of indium (sp?)

you guys are awesome!
Thank you for all the great advice!
I keep stuffing him with bananas and rice - I think he needs a more days to get his belly back.
I did not know that about the plasma vs. vitamin k shot - that is very good to know! Apparently the dentist knew that - after he pulled his tooth he said if the bleeding didn't stop by that nite he was to go to the ER for plasma! He only held his coumidan the nite before the extraction so I was nervous that he wouldnt stop bleeding - but he was fine! I didnt realize the antibiotics were going to give us such a problem!
We will hold tonite and 1/2 dose tomorrow and retest. - I just get so nervous with tomorrow being Friday - the doctor is so hard to reach over the weekend!
Thanks so much for all of your help - now I can get some sleep!
Chris

Latest posts

Back