Help! INR is 6.4

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He shouldn't of had to stop taking Coumadin for an extraction. It's the antibiotic and poopie problem that's causing the high INR. Get it undercontrol and things will gradually get back in line. 6.4 is nothing to freak over. 10 or above, time to freak a bit.

Why was he taking antibiotics after the extraction, don't you usually have to take that 1 hour prior going to the dentist? Just curious!

Chris:

Clindamycin is notorious for causing diarrhea, which as several others have pointed out is what is causing the high INR.

I've seen the diarrhea problems in cats when they've been RXed clindamycin after dentals/extractions. I usually stop the clindamycin and go to another antibiotic. I haven't used it systemically myself, only topically.

Lisou:
Clindamycin is RXed for treating anerobic bacteria -- bacteria that don't need oxygen to thrive. It probably wouldn't be RXed for a surface wound, unless it because a deep one.
My guess is clindamycin was RXed to treat any possible bacteria at the extraction site.

Why was he taking antibiotics after the extraction, don't you usually have to take that 1 hour prior going to the dentist? Just curious!

Lisou,

If he had an underlying infection/abcess, then extraction and a course of anitbiotics is the standard protocol if saving the tooth is not paramount. Like Marsha said, clindamycin is prescribed for anerobic bacterial infections, and that's what infections of the teeth/jawbone usually are.

Chris,

Get Gary some yogurt and/or some acidopholous lactobacillius (spelling). They help repopulate the gut with the beneficial bacteria that the clindamycin wiped out. It may take a while, but it's worth it. As a matter of fact, I make sure I have yogurt on hand EVERY time I have antibiotics.

Back