romaine lettuce and Vitamin K

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I know the difference between Romane, Bibb or any other type of lettuce, but I eat salads made from some kind of "lettuce" several times a week. I have seldom, if ever, noticed salad having any noticeable effect on INR.

You have heard of making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Well, the amount of vitamin K in romain lettuce is about as big as a pimple on a microbe's nose. Al and I are both on coumadin and we eat salads with all sorts of greens, including romaine lettuce, almost everyday and sometimes more than once a day.

Witzkeyman, please believe me!!! You have to relax and eat what you like in moderation. You're going to drive yourself crazy with worry otherwise.

Best wishes,
Blanche

A chicken casear salad eaten twice a week will have almost zero affect on your INR.

Don't eat the whole head of lettuce daily but a normal salad is fine.

The key is consistency.
If you like caesar salad, eat it regularly. Have what you like but be relatively consistent about it.

That web site will show several different serving sizes, or one leaf, etc. It will make you crazy.
I believe the lettuce with the least amount of Vitamin K is Iceburg....is also has the lowest nutritional benefits.
Enjoy your chicken caesar salads! (easy on the fatty dressings).

Eat your greens and if you prefer one type of lettuce to another then go ahead an indulge. You will give yourself a headache if you start counting milligrams of vit.K.

Let's put it this way

Let's put it this way

A recent thread mentions an INR of 9.

How many pounds of greens, including cauliflower, broccoli. brussel sprouts and everything else containing high amounts of vitamin K would it take to lower that INR to a more acceptable level?

A full bath tub, a full dumpster? I suspect it would be more than a person could eat in a week.

A recent thread mentions an INR of 9.

How many pounds of greens, including cauliflower, broccoli. brussel sprouts and everything else containing high amounts of vitamin K would it take to lower that INR to a more acceptable level?

A full bath tub, a full dumpster? I suspect it would be more than a person could eat in a week.

I suspect your right. ;)

Forget that list of vitamin K in foods!!!!!!!

Just be fairly consistent, i.e., don't boycott green things for a month and then have salad 3 times a day for several weeks.

And remember: CONSISTENT does not equal MONOTONOUS.

I've always read that the darker the green - the higher the K. That being said - I don't care. I just eat what I want. :)

Witzkey... Not a person can blame you. You have to stay in your comfort zone and what works for you. I found I needed to continue to my high in veggie diet for the brief time I was on coumadin. I have always eaten lots of greens/vitamin K foods and continued to do so. But I so understand someone who wishes to be more cautious. As you become more comfortable, perhaps you will slowly add back some foods you are currently avoiding or severely limiting.

I had very serious conversations about this while at Mass General. Thankfully, all with whom I spoke agreed that, within reason, I could continue to eat all I was used to eating but to do so with consistency.

This community is so extremely helpful with the fabulous info from those who have been there and have/are living it.

Who but a valve surgery patient really knows what it is like? Who but you knows your coumadin comfort zone?

Is your INR stable for the most part?

Witzkey, my first year I was very nervous about greens too and I missed out on some nice broccoli soups and salads.
The real turning point for me was when I got my home monitor....it makes me feel safe when I test more often.

I can certainly understand your concerns, and at the start when I came out of hospital I obsessed about Vitamin K, but now 7 months post surgery I eat all kinds of foods, lettuces and have Caesar salad for lunch several times a week. My INR is very stable, and my list of Vitamin K foods is now being utilised as a scribbling pad.

Jeff.

thanks cooker. I just want to enjoy a full chicken ceaser salad twice a week. I was under the impression that a couple of full salads (not side salads) a week would drop my INR from 3.0 to 1.5. thanks again

I think we all obsessed over the vit k issue. I know I was using the guides to make my meals with and all it did was frustrate the heck out of me. Until I threw the guides out the window and decided screw it, eat what I want then dose that diet, I was a mental moron.

Latest posts

Back