Licorice and INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jackie:

It's great that we can learn from others here.
What we learn gives us a real sense of power when we know why our INRs drop/increase. Knowledge lets things fall into place, instead of being continually being faced with one mystery after another.

No doubt most of us know more about warfarin and what affects it than the average medical professional!

What a coincidence to find this thread here today. My son and I just demolished a packet of black licorice and I never dreamt it would affect my INR so now I will delay testing for a few days and have a big bowl of green salad with dinner...yummo!

Damn...I never thought of that....too late today...gotta be there before 10.30 am...For the sake of science I will buy some more licorice and indulge again before the end of the week and post the results! you got me wondering now too! and I also wonder how long it would take to have an effect and for how long this effect would last.

I would not eat more now, just thought if you could test right away it might show if it really does raise your INR........... Have a wonderful day.

I can just see it now:

LICORICE --

the new rat poison.

For non-diabetic ;) rats, of course!
I'm wondering if any of the various valve companies might want to develop any new test control anticoagulation study groups :D ...

OK, I been thinking!...to do this properly I would need to test oneday then come home and consume the licorice then go back and test the next day ( and no greens for dinner that night!)...so maybe this is more suited to someone who has a home test kit. I am quite willing to do it the other way but it will probably be tricky to see how much of a rise we get. I am doubting it will send the inr up by very much. I am betting the difference would be around 0.5 for 75grams of licorice which is about 1/4 of a regular packet., any more licorice than that and you are going to be spending hours punishing the toilet!

I'm wondering if any of the various valve companies might want to develop any new test control anticoagulation study groups :D ...
I will volunteer to be in that group. I LOVE black licorice - particularly the Australian kind I buy at Trader Joe's. However, I don't consume a lot of it now as it is not Throw-Down friendly - lots of carbs!

OK, I been thinking!...to do this properly I would need to test oneday then come home and consume the licorice then go back and test the next day ( and no greens for dinner that night!)...so maybe this is more suited to someone who has a home test kit. I am quite willing to do it the other way but it will probably be tricky to see how much of a rise we get. I am doubting it will send the inr up by very much. I am betting the difference would be around 0.5 for 75grams of licorice which is about 1/4 of a regular packet., any more licorice than that and you are going to be spending hours punishing the toilet!

I think you'd need to wait more than 1 day and eat licorice for more than just one day.

Would be so nice if we could clone ourselves and do a double-blind test, wouldn't it, to determine exactly what a drug/food/OTC drug/exercise/whatever did to our INR?

Back