svc and a-fib irregular heart beats

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is exactly what the doctor who gave you the shot of vitamin K should have expected. I consider it right at the edge of malpractice to give somebody an injection of vitamin K for an INR of 7.1 when they are not bleeding. You can expect to need a high dose of warfarin for up to 2 weeks depending upon how much vitamin K you were given. Then the nurse who told you to cut back on your warfarin on Sunday probably compounded the problem. You are getting just about the worst possible treatment. You docs probably haven't looked at any info about warfarin since they were in medical school. My mother always said, "Somebody finishes last in every class."

Jody,

You just heard from our Resident Expert on Coumadin Management. Reading his website, www.warfarinfo.com will teach you more than any of your Care Providers ever learned about managing anticoagulation.

I highly recommend buying his Dosing Guide for your reference. It will be the Best $5 you ever spent on health care!

You may also want to browse through the Anti-Coagulation Forum, especially the "sticky posts" at the top of the Forum Listing.

You have stumbled upon the Achilles Heel of Anti-Coagulation Management in the USA, namely that many Care Providers are seriously out of date* or undereducated in the latest techniques and protocols.

*Note that anticoagulation management became MUCH better and more consistent after the development of the INR technique in the early 1990's.

Is there an Anti-Coagulation Clinic in your area? Such Clinics usually have better results than individual care providers, including many Doctors, who should know better.

Home Testing and Dosing after proper education and training results in the BEST results for anticoagulated patients.

You may want to take copies of the relevant sections of AL Lodwick's website with you on Monday. I'm guessing your Doc won't know what to do when your INR comes back too low (again). And YES, that would be a good time to insist on an Rx for Lovenox Injections and training in self injection.

Good Luck! We await your results with baited breath :)

'AL Capshaw'

INR results

INR results

I had my blood drawn at the lab for my INR this morning. My cardio's office called me at 2:00 and said my INR was in range at 2.7 and I am to have it tested again thursday. WHEW!!! What a load off of my mind. Now I just need to keep it in range. My cardio suggested 3mg each day and the nurse that ordered my bloodwork wants me at 2.5 every day except tuesday and thursday and I take 5mg on those two days. Taking 5mg alone is way too much and 2.5 is a little too low so I will see what my cardio says on wednesday. I will tell him that if I go that low again I want shots to keep me safe until my INR goes back in range. I am normally not a person to be quiet about anything. I speak my mind and get into heated arguments all the time with my regular doctor(we disagree on dosing for my thyroid meds). Somehow I become meek with my cardio and I guess I just don't want him to think I don't respect him. I know I need to speak up and I will on wednesday. If he just wasn't so kind hearted. He needs to be an egotistical jerk so its easier to tell them my "opinions".;) Well, I will post how my discussion with him goes and feel free to give me opinions on dosing. Thanks!

Glad you are back in-range. I'm so sorry you had to learn the Vit. K Shot issue the hard way. A few years ago, I had an INR over 7 (and I knew why). I was back in range in a little over 2 days by skipping a dose and taking half a dose. I remember thinking that if I had to go to the ER for some reason I'd probably spend most of my time getting the doctors and nurses not to freak out over the INR and do something stupid.

Back