Acupuncture on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue943

Has anyone tried it? I used to have acupuncture monthly before my endocarditis, for sciatica. At present I can't really afford to go but if my negligence claim is successful I might like to go back.

I know that I am not likely to bleed to death, I am not that daft, but I could do without a lot of oozes, they are likely to make a mess of my clothes.

Have any of you on warfarin tried acupuncture and does it get messy?

Works great!

Works great!

I've had acupuncture while on coumadin and there were no problems with bleeding. The acupuncture greatly helped to slow down my heart rate from 120 bpm to around 70. The needles in my ears were the only ones that ever seemed to bleed and that was very short lived. The acupuncturist showed me how to put the needles in certain positions myself if the heart rate jumped up. Now it stays real steady with only an occasional burst of atrial fibrillation. I think the acupuncture was very effective for me. :)

Cool Thread!

Cool Thread!

Sue, and Anniloo, Thanks for your posts. I had the same question. Glad to have the info! Brian

I was told acupuncture, not unlike tattoos, represents a risk in allowing bacteria in the bloodstream and getting endocarditis, and therefore, is not advised for prosthetic valve patients. Are there any good studies that indicate otherwise?

Bacteria

Bacteria

I was concerned about this because all my valve troubles came from a pulled tooth. The acupuncturist showed me that the needles come in sterilized packs of five. Some of the bigger ones are packaged singly. They wipe the area with alcohol just as they do if you were having a blood draw. After the session ends, the needles are pulled and put in a standard sharps container. It is very hard to even see where they were placed because they are so tiny. I think I would be more worried if they were introducing something along with the needle --like tatoo ink. As it is , it does what I need it to do.....Keep me slow and steady!

Although the needles are sterilized, acupuncture still involves risk of bacteria entering your blood stream....not unlike a surgical procedure in the hospital or dentist office. If taking antibiotics ahead of time like before teeth cleaning or surgery, there must be less risk of bacteria and getting endocarditis.

I hadn't given a thought to the bacterial aspect, just the bleeding. The doctor I used always uses new steralised needles, I don't remember if he swabbed, it is two years since I last went to him.

Thanks for the input.

My husband had mitral valve repair but is off coumadin. He wanted to try accupuncture for sinus problems so we asked his cardiologist today if it was O.K. Card said it's fine but just to make sure the needles are sterilized and the skin area is swabbed beforehand.
We will also ask surgeon at the 1 yr. check-up to be sure. Nobody ever said to us that blood draws pose a risk for endocarditis (or do they?) and the needles are smaller - so personally, my husband and I think it would be O.K. for him to do.

Annilou,
I was unable to view all of your profile. I don't know why.
Were you chronic atrial fibrillation? I noticed that you don't want email but I would really be interested in hearing more about the acupunture as I am chronic atrial fibrillation. Were you afraid of the needles at first. You mentioned having needles in your ear. That sounds like it would frighten me. What part of your ear is involved? It is nice to talk to some of the others who are chronic afib and I appreciate any information you can give me.

Ear--ey

Ear--ey

I was just in Thurs to my Cardiologist and he told me I'm still in a-fib. The medicine slows my heartbeat somewhat but it still gets to racing occasionally. Accupuncture helps slow it down so I don't have to increase the dose of Toprol any more. The acupuncturist put needles in the outer part of the ear, not in the canal. No, I'm not afraid of needles, especially when you see how tiny they are. The cardiologist doesn't have a problem with me getting acupuncture either. The bacteria around teeth have been linked to heart problems not so much those on the skin that are exposed to oxygen, otherwise every little scrape would put you at risk for an infection.

Latest posts

Back