Drinking while taking Warfarin(Coumadin)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wise smith said:
Anger!?!? How dare you?!?! I may just have to have a drink....of coffee, that is. (LOL, just playing friend).

Wise, - just a side note - I love your humor. I find that there's not a lot in life that should be taken so seriously that you can't laugh. There have been many times that "If I wasn't laughin' I'd be cryin'." I'd rather laugh, or smile at the very least. :D

Karlynn said:
Wise, - just a side note - I love your humor. I find that there's not a lot in life that should be taken so seriously that you can't laugh. There have been many times that "If I wasn't laughin' I'd be cryin'." I'd rather laugh, or smile at the very least. :D

Abraham Lincoln was once confronted on his tendency to crack jokes during the Civil War, probably the most tragic episode in our nation's history. His response? "I laugh to keep myself from crying."

Karlynn said:

Karlynn, thanks. I'm learning humor from some of the best right here at vr.com.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy", real quote from Benjamin Franklin (the guy on the $100 bill). Will

Will:
I've never come across that particular quote, but it sure does sound like Ben Franklin. He was quite a brilliant person with a sense of humor that is still unrivaled. "Ale, man ale's the stuff to drink for fellows whom it hurts to think," is a quote that I used to recite to myself after a hangover. And that's a real quote from A. E. Housman. I don't know too many quotes about drinking. I do like quotes about dancing and angels. Have any good dancing or angel quotes?
Rgards,
Blanche

For Blanche

For Blanche

If you are going to dance...You have to pay the Fiddler :D :D :D As, drinking too much the night before ..or doing anything the night before that you regret the next day... :p :p First heard this many years ago..in my other life. :D Bonnie

Ross said:
See, the corruption process has begun without you realizing it. ;)

Yes, and you, Sir Ross, are the corruptedest I do believe. Spelling/grammar errors intentional in case any teachers read this.

I'd like to remind everyone that without Ross, this website wouldn't exist.

I've told him that I am sorry that his health has him confined to his home for most of the time. However, I am thankful that he has undertaken the mission that he has.

I have not always agreed with him, but he should not be open to personal attacks for trying to keep thing going smoothly.

Personally, I don't mind threads being hijacked. I think that is the spontaneous nature of this site that makes it work. But if it is the will of the people that run it that is the way it is. I have dropped off of two other, similar sites, one because they were always chastizing us to stick to the topic and one because it was mostly personal attacks.

wise smith said:
Yes, and you, Sir Ross, are the corruptedest I do believe. Spelling/grammar errors intentional in case any teachers read this.

Sometimes I just blurt out what I type without thinking. I hope this wasn't taken as a negative statement. I really do think Ross is one the funniest people I've come across. I also think he does a wonderful job here. I apologize for getting further off subject here, but I don't want to give a wrong impression. Just having fun. Now, back to that drink...of coffee.

Hi Blanche, I don't have any dancing/angel quotes. One from Albert Einstein comes to mind, "Reality is merely an illusion, albieit a very persistent one". Will

wise smith said:
I take this for what it is, a good joke and rebuttal of my post to you. Nothing harmed here. Let's all try to get along and stear this thread back on course.

Ross said:
I take this for what it is, a good joke and rebuttal of my post to you. Nothing harmed here. Let's all try to get along and stear this thread back on course.

Well allrightythen, I'll do just that. I've been enjoying a glass of wine every night for the last 2 weeks. Partly because I bought a case of a Hungarian Merlot that is so good, but partly because I wanted to see what it would do to my INR. It's been hovering around 2.5 for a few months and I'd rather have it over 3.0. Apparently, a glass of red doesn't do anything to my INR. It was 2.6 yesterday. I tested 2 weeks ago, it was 2.6. I've never, in 13 years, had the exact reading 2 tests in a row. I bumped up my dose a bit with some security that whether I regularly consume a glass of wine each evening or not, will effect my INR.

My limit is 2 drinks, or I wake up with a headache the next morning, so I won't be doing additional testing on # of drinks and my INR.

Update

Update

Here is this weeks update:

4/14/05 - 6 Beers (1-1/2 Pitchers)

4/18/05 - INR = 2.7 :)

Rich

Moo, we all appreciate the selfless sacrifice you're making for science.

I do find your results pretty interesting, given that you're apparantly not drinking every day (in which case your Coumadin dosage could become adjusted over time to compensate for any interaction).

It is not the INR that matters so much with beer, it is the irritation to the lining of the stomach. This strikes without warning. Do six at a time once a week for long enough and you will wind up getting a transfusion no matter what the INR says. It amy be a year or two or five but it almost always happens. Keep us posted.

allodwick said:
It is not the INR that matters so much with beer, it is the irritation to the lining of the stomach....

Seems to me that I'd read elsewhere that alcohol interacts with Warfarin to produce a higher INR. You do point out a very important separate issue, wondering if one of its implications is that even folks who restrict their alcohol to a drink or two a day should stay away from straight hard liquor and drink less-irritating drinks in which the alcohol is more diluted (i.e. mixed drinks, beer, wine). Alas, straight bourbon whiskey is my drink of choice.

Standard wisdom is that a drink is a drink no matter what it is, i.e. a shot of liquor, a 4-ounce glass of wine, and a 12-ounce beer all are the same. But wondering if this an instance in which they are not the same and the shot of liquor may be the most hazardous of the three, beer the least.

An ounce is an ounce as far is getting drunk is concerned but you raise an important point about dilution not being as irritating to the lining of the gut.

Latest posts

Back