Drinking while taking Warfarin(Coumadin)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?

?

Not to start a huge ordeal but...

Why drive, you could crash...
Why fly, you could crash...
Why have sex, you could get a disease...
Why play sports, you could lose...
Why try, you could fail...
Why drink, you could have an ulcer that bleeds uncontrollably and causes you to lose so much blood that you go hypovolemia and slowly pass away...

Why live, you'll only die trying...

If having a few (well, more than a few, but waaaaayyyy less then a typical college night) beers constitutes a serious life endangering risk, my life has become more trouble than it's worth.

It never ceases to amaze me that people are so scared to take calculated risks and swear that nothing good will come of them, that they lose sight of the fact you ONLY LIVE ONCE and if you don't do anything interesting, what was the point of living. Just another body in the cemetery with nobody who knows about them after 3 generations have passed.

I say calculated because it's not even a 1% chance. My motorcycle poses more danger, imho.

Rich

It's not a huge ordeal, perhaps I'm jealous. There are so many things I want to do and no longer can and no, it's not because I'm limiting myself, it's because my body is on it's way out. Just trying to relay that 1% calculation could very well club you over the head like it did me.

This Is All Ross's Fault!

This Is All Ross's Fault!

KILL HIM :eek:

Ross, be on guard

Ross, be on guard

RCB:
You're right! Let's kill him with kindness. I think he could use a little right now. I know I could.
Blanche

RCB said:

Ok, Ok.
Let's all kiss and make up.
This thread has given me a new idea for a forum category (no groans, Ross!)
We should have one that deals with philosophical issues as they relate to valve replacement.
I bet it would get heated! :D
Kiss, Kiss

Ther is no statistical data because people are not truthful about what they drink. ER docs with 25 years experience say that they have never seen a patient who had more than 2 beers.

Blanche said:
RCB:
You're right! Let's kill him with kindness. I think he could use a little right now. I know I could.
Blanche
Blanche- to you my most kind thoughts and wishes. :)

For Ross- I don't think there is any chance of that happening, not when
you have member here angrily bitching to him about "Forum Display Order"! :rolleyes:

You know guys, once again we are involved in a debate that will not change anyone's mind. It is quite apparent that people who want to drink will drink and those that feel it is dangerous will not.

Ultimately it is a matter of taking the chance that your lifestyle has the potential of shortening your life. Since none of knows what will end up killing us or when that will be, it is often difficult to fit choices into the puzzle.

I do some things that are probably not healthy for me. I eat more fat and chocolate than I should and I drink a couple of times a month (1 or 2 glasses of wine because I don't like to get too silly - too much of a control freak). When the weather is nice, I sometimes drive too fast. All of those things can contribute to an earlier death but so can OHS.

I personally think overindulging in anything is taking a risk and getting sloppy drunk is just stupid for anyone no matter what physical conditions they have or don't have. I don't like seeing someone drunk because they do things that are embarassing at best and dangerous at least. But, I will argue forever for their right to do so and still tell them they may be making a huge mistake. Just my 2 cents and the maternal instinct coming out.

Point taken.

Point taken.

Ross said:
It's not a huge ordeal, perhaps I'm jealous. There are so many things I want to do and no longer can and no, it's not because I'm limiting myself, it's because my body is on it's way out. Just trying to relay that 1% calculation could very well club you over the head like it did me.

I see your point 100%. Since I don't have kids yet, i'm prone to do things that are more risky. That'll change in a year or so. I'm just afraid i'll go so far the other way, i'll become the very type of person i've avoided my whole life.

Rich

PS: Nick, sorry about interupting your post.

Oh come on AL!

Oh come on AL!

allodwick said:
Ther is no statistical data because people are not truthful about what they drink. ER docs with 25 years experience say that they have never seen a patient who had more than 2 beers.

Don't try to inject your wisdom and expertise in to this- While a couple of old bulls like Ross and I are having fun with a young bull ;)

RCB said:
Don't try to inject your wisdom and expertise in to this- While a couple of old bulls like Ross and I are having fun with a young bull ;)

I think it's called "hosing down the deck with testosterone". :D :D :D

If I was a rat..... I'd be dead by now.

If I was a rat..... I'd be dead by now.

A smart man once said...... "if you're gonna drink, do it consistently".

Just love that guy! He came up with the greatest one liners! :D

Another of my favorite quotes by him is... "It's a good day when your kid's GPA is higher than your INR". :D

OH, and this one..... something like "Any day above ground is a good day".

Where you at Mr. V?!! We miss ya!

"I wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would have me for a member." - Groucho Marx

RCB said:
He is still a "youngen"- give a chance to grow. Have you forgotten Ross, what it is to be 25 and care free ;) Those were the good old days :D :(

RCB:

Yeah, I remember those days. Remember getting drunk @ 22 at a friend's apartment and DRIVING home very very very carefully ... The next day I thought of what could have happened -- fatal car accident at worst, DWI arrest at the least.

I have found that my INR surges if I have a glass of wine & a martini or margarita within 24 hours of each other. Alcohol also has empty calories, i.e., no nutritional value, so I very seldom drink it now. Did have a small glass of wine Saturday while visiting my parents in Dallas.

I'm fairly astonished at how angry folks around here get when someone has the temerity to express an opinion that the person doesn't agree with. The angry responses do make a threads a bit unpleasant to read, but they also help me to understand why it had to be pointed out to me that these forums are not the place to seek civil discussion of controversies. But folks who are so readily given to anger really do need to keep in mind that anger itself is a risky behavior - that there is a pretty high correlation between frequent anger and heart attacks.

That said, this thread also reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:

"I'm a moderate drinker. I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." - W.C. Fields

Barry said:
I'm fairly astonished at how angry folks around here get when someone has the temerity to express an opinion that the person doesn't agree with. The angry responses do make a threads a bit unpleasant to read, but they also help me to understand why it had to be pointed out to me that these forums are not the place to seek civil discussion of controversies. But folks who are so readily given to anger really do need to keep in mind that anger itself is a risky behavior - that there is a pretty high correlation between frequent anger and heart attacks.

Anger!?!? How dare you?!?! I may just have to have a drink....of coffee, that is. (LOL, just playing friend).

Back