huge bruise on my left arm

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivekd

Hi,

I went for an Aortic valve replacement (On-X) in June 2016 and taking warfarin (INR: 2 - 3) Went to play cricket for the first time last weekend and end of the day saw a huge bruise. I'm a left arm fast bowler. Even though I was not hit, but i ended up hearting my left arm with the fast bowling after a long time.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipOrhBSq8XKGxfm9a33D5OqUuCHJ0wM_B0ijFSmg

My bruise is changing colors from red -> purple --> lil green, so hopefully it's getting better.

Anybody else has had big bruises with INR.

I'm putting ice cubes and not lifting weights till bruise heals completely.

Any advices / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

-- Vivek

Hi

vivekd;n882743 said:
Hi,
Went to play cricket for the first time last weekend and end of the day saw a huge bruise. I'm a left arm fast bowler.

what was your INR pre-match?

unfortunately the link is 404

Any advices / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

how long since you bowled? Perhaps there has been some muscle loss during your off time and that's combined with technique to exacerbate brusing (which is of course caused by tissue damage).

I'd be interested to see the pics

Good thing you weren't doing a Bancroft ... or you may not be able to sit ;-)

PS this is a bit of a bouncer but :
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/2/125

may shed light on injury risks in fast bowling (I assume you're across this anyway).

Sorry to hear of the issues

Last edited:
vivekd;n882745 said:
my INR is 2.7

I've not bowled for 2 years and made mistake of bowling for more than hour to prepare for an upcoming cricket tournament.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gEZnDqjh4LmP5LYs2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6WnWjjY7KxgO7wy23
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7LYxijeXEbt4wIXD2

I've played cricket my whole life and never got injured but this was my first time after the surgery.

At the time, i felt that i pulled a muscle, but did not think of internal bleeding.

but what about the question: how long off training .. as we age being off form requires taking time to get back into form... Did you just "go at it" or did you train into it ?

the images look like a muscle tear which may previously have just been painful, with a lump.

Did you warm up properly?

These things become a problem as we age (I had an injury in Aikido 20 years before I started warfarin which was caused by the above.

I mean (sorry) but you are 50 ... who's playing test cricket at that age (and who's retired due to injuries)?

Last edited:
I have not bowled for last 2 1/2 years, but I've been very active after my surgery in june 2016. I've been mainly swimming, running and taking boot-camp classes at the gym, working out 5-6 days a week.

My previous cricket team has been actively looking for a left arm fast bowler (who doesn't), and i decided that I'm going to fill-in that role and since we did not have lot of time before the tournament, ended up doing it too much on the very first day.

I decided to stop playing cricket after this incident (50+ is way too old anyway for fast bowlers), since there is always a risk for getting hit.

I plan to stay with non contact sports like running and swimming.

vivekd;n882750 said:
I have not bowled for last 2 1/2 years...I decided to stop playing cricket after this incident (50+ is way too old anyway for fast bowlers), since there is always a risk for getting hit.

I plan to stay with non contact sports like running and swimming.

well here's my view:
When you're older you have to understand you're older. After over 2 years break you'll need to train into it, not just rely on the memory of what you could do before. Your body will remember, but you'll find it's changed.

Just because at 50 you can't do what you could do at 25 doesn't mean you should give up what you love. So I'd either train into it (you know, weekends at the nets, lots of practice ...), but with the knowledge that it'll take time.

Alternatively you could find a bunch of guys who are about your level and play in that league.

When I was 28 I was a seriously mad bastard on my bike, now not so much. I was out with a mate who asked me to take some shots of him riding. He's 28 and right on top of his game. I'm pretty sure he's both better than I ever was and madder too.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c1.staticflickr.com\/5\/4299\/36209385735_3a567ec84f_z.jpg"}[/IMG2]

As a photographer I liked working with him because he was able to put it down hard exactly where I wanted when we planned the shots.

However I'm under no illusions that I'd be doing that myself ... for a start I know what happens if you stuff up....

It doesn't mean I've stopped riding, just toned down my GSX-R to a T-Max

39808416115_30617a649c_c.jpg

cos I still love riding ... if you still love cricket keep at it ... within your limits ... which will take time to find again :)

Last edited:
Looks nasty, I had a similar looking bruise a month or so ago on my lower leg from a boat crash episode , it went away on it's own as you would expect a bruise to, I didn't ice it or nothing although I should of, just hobbled around haha
i have read big bruising you should see a doctor but I thought the $42 was better in my pocket than theirs

but yea warfarin seems to make them a bit more impressive, I sometimes seem to get bruises that spring up with no apparant cause,

example leaning my arm over the back of a wooden chair typing this seems to pop them up occaisionally

i don't read anything into it :)

I dropped furniture on my foot and the whole thing turned purple. First I had peak swelling. Then it developed into peak color about a week later. Looked like I had a purple sock on. Right now I have two evenly spaced bruises on my shoulder blades from a water slide.

Latest posts

Back