OrangeTheory?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasterRat

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Y'all...used to be more active around these parts, then the surgery and I haven't been around for a while. Hard to find communities for us heart patients though! Anyways, today I am wondering if anyone else here does OrangeTheory? It's basically a HIIT program branded with colour zones and heart rate monitors. I love the data and the workout. I am on BB which lower my max hr ceiling as you know, but I just get in there and do the workout. I've been loving it. My questions is this: has anyone received medical advice on HIIT? I know, ask my own doctor...and I have and will continue to, however, so far the advice has been pretty non-specific...I'd love to continue being in good shape but really don't wanna be doing damage...

For reference, my usual avg HR in session is usually around 70% of what they think my max is, which seems to be the standard 220-age equation...

TIA

Dylan

The prior suggestions are good ones, certainly. I agree that the medical advice we get can be non-specific, and that's typically because there isn't a huge body of research to support any conclusions in the area. It's more medical art than science, it seems, when it comes to exercise post-surgery.

That being said, obviously keep in good contact with your care team. Mine has consistently said to do as I like, just don't be ridiculous about it. My cardio was fine with me running distance events and such with the only caveat really being about making sure to breath when exercising to keep internal blood pressure to a reasonable level.

Glad you dropped back in and that you're staying active. It's an important story for the rest of us to hear.

I’m dabbling in CrossFit and several folks I know with OHS procedures do it as well. Just some data for ya. Orange Theory looks fun. Talk to your cardiologist and give it a whirl. Always start slow and pace yourself.

I stopped going to Orange Theory (because of cost reasons), but I go to Boot camp sessions @ LA fitness twice a week.
I started slow, used to keep an eye on heart rate, and listened to my body through out the workouts.
I've been doing boot camps for last 1+ years without any issues.

I went to Orange Theory for about three months. I kept feeling nauseous, and sometimes barfing in my mouth a little (sorry for the TMI). It freaked me out so I set up an appointment with my cardiologist. He ordered a stress test, just to be sure I wasn't doing anything harmful. Stress test came back and the results were very good. Eventually, through a long conversation with the cardiac nurse, we realized this probably wasn't the best "match" for me, as a regular exercise option. Having my stats available for view, along with all the other students activated my competitive streak too much. Although I knew I needed to do my own workout, and not focus on others, I pushed myself too hard and then had stomach problems, or would get discouraged. One other thing, around that time, some group within OT noticed that older women (I am 57) did not get in the orange zone as often as other people. They recalculated the heart rate algorithm (whatever it is that would determine the zone) and I got orange more often then.

So my suggestion is that if the structure/format works for you, and your physician/medical team agree, go for it! The important thing is finding something that works and being consistent.

Amy

Thanks for the feedbacks, I am thinking along the same lines. I have less of an issue being competitive with the person next to me, and often throttle back when things get too intense. I like that I can see the feedback on the screen and pair that with how I am feeling. In talking to my doctor, I realized that OTF is really just running on a treadmill (which I have never heard of as an issue for us), rowing, and fairly light weight lifting. The thing I am most cautious about are the plyometric exercises. I notice that my HR spikes pretty fast with them, and I have learned to focus on breathing as I do not want to hold my breath and increase the pressures...

Latest posts

Back