Wearable Tech, Heart Monitors

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Okay, since Ive taken an interest in wearable tech products Ive found out its the latest hot craze. If youre not sure what I mean its the FitBit and countless copy cat products or smart watches and activity trackers. Theres so many its nuts! Previously I had a sport watch with hear rate monitor strap. Its was cheap and it worked, wasnt very accurate I dont think, but it did work. Well now I want a better one. All the latest have apps for your smart phone and track all sorts of usable data. First thing I learned when I dove into the sea of these Fitbit type products is the MOST do not have a heart rate monitor function. Most are simply activity trackers that count your steps. Interesting, perhaps, but not what I want. Second if they do have a heart rate function its from the wrist byt little contact pads touching your skin, again supposedly not very accurate from what Ive read. Then there are very accurate straps and such to read your heart rate but they are often expensive and some do not even have a display, but just send to your smart phone. Well I dont want to pull my phone out just to see my HR while Im walking, running, or biking... much easier to just look at your wrist and keep going.

So it turn out what I have is most likley what I will get again only newer and better. Does anyone here have first hand knowledge of these HR monitor type watches, or "wearables" as they are termed now? Ive been researching for a couple weeks now, its very annoying because a quick google of hear rate monitors brings up all the "activity" trackers which dont show HR at all.

Ive narrowed it down to the Garmin Forerunner 210, GPS enable sport watch with hear rate monitor chest strap. It has the added function of Garmin Connect which tracks your workouts and shows you all sorts of data even plotted on graphs. Anyone here have any other options I might consider?

I have a fitbit surge that has a heart rate monitor that works via lasers. Can't say how accurate it is although I did once compare it at the cardiologists office when I was getting a treadmill stress test and it seemed a little off.

cldlhd;n859048 said:
I have a fitbit surge that has a heart rate monitor that works via lasers. Can't say how accurate it is although I did once compare it at the cardiologists office when I was getting a treadmill stress test and it seemed a little off.

Ive seen those, they do look nice and definitely full of features. Kinda pricey for what I was hoping to spend. One other thing I was hoping for was water resistant to some degree so I dont have to worry about, sweat, rain, or (gulp...) saltwater spray... like if I wear it paddleboarding maybe.

It's water resistant but not waterproof, I took it off when I recently went kayaking. I've gotten it wet and so far no issues.

The cardiac nurse with whom I did cardiac rehab got me a Polar HR monitor There's a chest thing and the heart rate is picked up on the watch which comes with the kit. You can program it to tell you when you've reached your max or whatever. I think there were other programmable things. I've also used it as a regular watch. It's certainly reliable and accurate as a HR monitor.

Have you looked into the Apple watch? Pricey but the low end one might not be terribly more than a high end FitBit type device. I have the latter without the HR monitor and it took some effort to get the steps to track correctly; I wouldn't want to depend on it for my HR which is above average.

I am pre-surg but always on the verge it seems. I've been through one Garmin and a Polar. It seems with all the sweating they both stopped sending the heart signal to the watch. I spent a bunch replacing batteries and then gave up and bought a $35 finger probe that tracks Oxygen saturation and Heart RAte. It is extremely accurate and I have checked it against Drs equipment on several occasions. It might not work for you since you want totally hassle free. I just keep it in my pocket , (it's the size of a D battery approx.) and stick my finger in it periodically, it's easy to read and takes two AA batteries. It comes with a detachable neck strap so you can wear it around your neck and tuck it into your shirt to secure it. I like the O2 sat feature for reasons I will expound upon in a new thread so I don't co-opt this one.
Happy Trails, bonbet

McCbon;n859073 said:
I bought a $35 finger probe that tracks Oxygen saturation and Heart RAte. It is extremely accurate and I have checked it against Drs equipment on several occasions…….. It comes with a detachable neck strap so you can wear it around your neck and tuck it into your shirt to secure it. I like the O2 sat feature for reasons I will expound upon in a new thread so I don't co-opt this one.
What make did you get ? I'm very interested in getting one that tracks oxygen ('cos of my small airways disease) but so many of them have poor reviews so I've never known which one to get.

HI Paleogirl. It is called VERIDIAN model No. 11 - 50D. Delux Pulse Oximeter.
Mfg for Veridian Healthcare Gurnee IL 60031
Customer Care 866 326 1313
This one has been accurate. And I've banged it up a bit. And hey, it's only 35 bucks.
bonbet

I have a TomTom Cardio Runner which measures the heart rate through the wrist and I have found it to be very accurate. I am an avid runner and have gotten much use and satisfaction from this watch, which I strongly endorse. It does many things, but monitoring my heart rate, following my mechanical mitral valve replacement, is the reason I got it. While I am running it tells me instantly my current heart rate and pace, as well as how far I have gone using GPS technology. While charging it on my computer it downloads and stores all of the information and graphs it such that after a run I can see the course that I ran and see my heart rate superimposed along with the elevation and my speed, which is very cool. I can see how my heart rate increases or decreases relative to my speed and when I am going uphill or downhill and I can track my improvement by comparing workouts that I did today with previous workouts. It is very encouraging, for instance, to see that the same pace that I ran today results in a lower heart rate than it did a year ago at that same pace. I especially appreciate it's heart rate monitoring feature when I push myself in a race, though my cardiologist would probably not approve of me hitting my maximum heart rate when I sprint into the finish. Anyway, I cannot say enough good things about this watch, although it is on the expensive side. By the way it is waterproof and I have monitored my heart rate while doing swimming and biking workouts as well. I have also tracked my heart rate while sleeping during the night just to see how low it would go.

Thanks for the info Bonbet !

McCbon;n859076 said:
HI Paleogirl. It is called VERIDIAN model No. 11 - 50D. Delux Pulse Oximeter.
Mfg for Veridian Healthcare Gurnee IL 60031
Customer Care 866 326 1313
This one has been accurate. And I've banged it up a bit. And hey, it's only 35 bucks.
bonbet

Further research confirms I will likely get the Garmin Forerunner 210. I already have one of the finger pulse ox meters I bought on Amazon for $15 and while it works for walking, it's super finicky. Like you have to hold it just right to get a reading. Awkward to do while walking, nearly impossible if I were biking, a cheap meter just the same. This Garmin will come with the HR strap, with watch display, gps and the Garmin app that tracks your workout and maps your route and distance and all sorts of cool stuff. Lots of third party apps too. Sure there's more and better options perhaps, but so far I like this one and I'm tired of the research.

almost_hectic, I have the Garmin Forerunner 220. I bought it just over a year ago when I started running some to supplement swim training and dryland, well before I just recently learned I have aortic regurgitation. I have not looked up the differences between the 210 and 220, but I'd guess they are similar. The watch worked fairly well for tracking various data during my runs, including the route, heart rate, pace, elevation, and more.

It is possible I did not play with it enough to work around this, but one problem I experienced with the Forerunner 220 is that it did not seem to track or display heart rate data if I was not moving. For example, I previously had a cheaper Timex watch with a heart rate monitor strap, and I used it while doing workouts such as weightlifting, pushups, pullups, and jump training. The Timex watch would always display the heart rate for me, but I found that the Forerunner 220 would not display it with those type of exercises or if I was sitting around the house.

I still use the Forerunner 220 for all my runs, which are starting to fade since I'm experiencing more and more fatigue, but I've always missed the Timex watch I had for monitoring my heart rate for other exercises and for doing things around the house.

If you are wanting to monitor your heart rate for walking or running only, the Forerunner may be a good choice. If you are expecting more general monitoring out of it, you may want to talk a closer look at it (based on my experience with the 220). I don't know what the best solution is for general heart rate monitoring throughout the day. I do poke around every so often looking for a good solution, but like you said, there are a lot of products out there and a lot of them do not track heart rate at all.

I have a Garmin FR 70 with chest strap and the watch, works well and easy to look at your wrist and see if you are in the zones you want. The Garmin connect on the computer is fun if you like data. Some sync frustrations for me. If you are going to be using a treadmill, you may want a HR monitor that connects with the one you are using. Most ones I've seen only work with Polar. it allows you to see your HR right on the treadmill screen wirelessly from your HR monitor. It's good for serious workouts or if you are just wanting really accurate HR rate, which is what I got mine for because I was afraid I was overexerting myself. I got a program from a trainer and followed it.

I also have a Fitbit that has HR. It is not very responsive compared to the Garmin. I can't use it to run intervals because it does not respond real fast. Also I have to tap it multiple times to see the display which is disruptive to running. It IS informative for general info - for example it can give more "credit" in calories burned for high exertion, it counts minutes you spent in fat burning cardio and peak zones, and you can see your resting HR day to day. Cool info interface if you have a smart phone or tablet. I have "challenges" with Fitbit friends most days that help keep me moving and I can track diet on there. And easy to wear, just like a watch really. You can go online but I think it loses a lot without the app.

It really depends what you are looking for.

I have a fitbit hr and a garmin forerunner 310xt. This is my second forerunner. The first was a 305 and I wore it out. Some sync issues with both.I've logged nearly 2,000 miles on garmin connect. I had to replace the strap on my 310xt (not the actual monitor) with a polar strap. The garmin strap stopped working and was actually cutting my chest on distance runs.

I'm late to this thread, but I've been a gym rat for decades - both before and after valve replacement. I used the Polar HR monitors for a number of years but became frustrated that when the battery in the chest strap wore out it was cheaper to buy another monitor than it was to send it in to have the battery replaced. I also didn't really like the chest strap design, as they were all hit or miss with my pacemaker. Sometimes they would register double (natural pace and pacemaker, too) and sometimes they would somehow register half or nothing. I looked for a wrist-only HR monitor and found the Mio product line. They have an infrared sensor in the back of their wrist watch, and it is quite reliable to monitor heart rate. It can also integrate and send data to a smart phone and (IIRC) also to a computer. They are a bit pricey ($150-200 USD), but the avoidance of the chest strap makes it worthwhile for me. Also, they have a re-chargeable internal battery, so I hope it lasts longer than the Polar did.

I think some of the problems associated with the Garmin heart rate monitor rests with the strap itself. Garmin recommends washing the strap to clear the salt buildup which inhibits or changes conductivity, If I understand correctly. I've found after washing the strap works better. I recently discovered the the Garmin electronics pod fits on the Polar soft strap band. I bought the Polar soft strap, attached the Garmin pod and it has worked flawlessly for the last month or so.

Another consideration for those who want to monitor heart rates but are concerned with a chest strap is the Scosche Rythm sensor. Bluetooth and ANT capable to any device you have and goes over the upper forearm. I am five days out from AVR and used it yesterday while on a walk around town. Synched easily to my Garmin device and performed perfectly.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, or not, but I have a Pyle Heart Rate Monitor. It comes in two parts. A chest strap and a watch. I use it when I do my DDP Yoga. I've found you have to moisten (not wet, but moisten) the contacts on the strap, and wear it a bit snug, but it does seem to work.

Yeah on my Garmin watch and strap combo you it works best if you moisten the strip in front. Although I stopped wearing it for quite a while now. Lest time I wore it was at the American heart Association Heart Walk I participated in. Well i kinda forgot I even had it on and it ended up being a few hours I was wearing it. Gave me a nice red rash. Cleared up in about a week. next time I wore it the rash was right back again. Don't know what exactly to attribute it to. Im not as hyper concerned about my heart rate as much as I used to be right after surgery. Things have calmed down considerably. Checked my resting heart rate this morning before I got out of bed and I was at 61 bpm. I thought that was great compared to where I once was in the nineties.

Latest posts

Back