How many would say that you're in the best shape of your life?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All
I have my 75th birthday in July. I wouldn't say that I am in the best condition of my life - but certainly for someone my age, I am very fit! Before my operation, I couldn't walk 100m without stopping!
I ran three races last Saturday afternoon (7th Jan, 2015), in very hot conditions 27degreesC! The 800m = 3min 40sec 200m = 34 sec 3km = 16min 30 sec.
We have our State Masters Champs on the 21 - 22 February - entered 400m, 800m, 1500m.
I have not done any interval/speedwork , just a few quick knee-lifts, and jogging.
I am 3.5 years after AVR (tissue), so thought since my lifespan is getting shorter - better ramp up the pace! (LOL)
See Yaas
Brian

Hey Brian!

Good to see you here! And. . . good to see that your attitude is still the same.

Keep up the great work. You set a wonderful example for all of us younger guys.

My life? Pretty much the same as it has been for the past few years (once I got back to "the new normal" after surgery). I can't run any more - my knees won't let me. If I jog/run today, I'll have to crawl for 3 days before I can even walk properly again. So, I do the stationary bike and power-walk on an inclined treadmill. No competition for me. Tried mountain biking on St. Maartin last summer and found that my beta blocker won't let me get my heart rate up high enough to get to the tops of the hills. Getting older is not for sissies!

Hi epstns
Sad to hear about your knees and beta blocker - thank God for the gym! Since my 3 events last Saturday (7th feb), the outside of my left knee has swollen again, and seems to be pressing on some 'nerve' that gives calf spasms! Had to 'change' my 'style' a few years ago to relieve same problem! (ran too hard last sat - went back to old way of running)
I am taking a page out of your book today by going to gym, and doing bike/treadmill. I have missed 3 days with this problem, which is puting me 'behind the eightball' for my Champs next week.
Are you on Beta blockers for blood-pressure? I am on 'Crestor' for cholesterol control, which I will be on for life.
I must admit, I still worry when I run hard, for having an 'erratic' pulse beat ...I feel that I am tempting fate, but can't stop.

I'm on the beta blocker for a couple of reasons. Firstly, since valve replacement, I have a propensity toward afib. They prescribed the BB to help keep my heart rate down within a range they feel will minimize the likelihood of recurrent afib. For that, it seems to work. Since the one month post-op point, I have had only one episode of afib, and that was when I was in the ER for a pinched lumbar nerve and in terrible pain. The beta blocker is also given to try to avoid a condition I apparently had (but was not diagnosed) prior to surgery. One of the docs called it brady/tachy-cardia. Pre-surgery, my resting heart rate would often drop to the low 40's, but while under exercise load it would quickly rise to the mid 160's. They had so much trouble managing my heart rate and rhythm post-op that I received a pacemaker. The pacer now keeps my heart rate above 60 BPM, but I only rely on it 15-20% of the time. My natural pacing is now usually well above that, but with the beta blocker, my heart rate rarely goes above the mid-140's during exercise. This probably limits my abilities, but such is life.

Oh, BTW, the beta blocker and a mild diuretic are the only meds I take that are also governing my blood pressure. This combo seems to be working, because at my "official" BP checks at doctors' offices my BP is usually around 120/78.

Yes, it is very restricting being on Beta-Blockers - I think I need a dose of them to keep me under 'control'! (LOL)
I used to wear a 'heart-rate-monitor' but it used to worry me when the reading got too high.
I take crestor (cholesterol), half aspirin, and a magnesium twice daily to stop 'erratic pulse'.
Only 3 more days to Champs - not sure whither excited or worried.
See Ya
Brian

Hi All
Ran the 800m State Masters track last Saturday. Was very surprised to find that I was mixed with the 65age upward bracket! (me 74) Felt like it was a 'sprint' .
I had plenty of time to watch the runner's styles (LOL). Finished well - 3min 25sec.
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem...Legs fatigued all the time, and 'mentally' head keeps telling me to stop!
I have began wearing an MP3 player, to try and overcome the 'mental' problem.
Still, without my AVR, where would I be...
See Yaas
Brian

I don't have leg problems. I just have a beta blocker that won't let me get my heart rate up enough to run (and my knees don't like it, either). Part of my daily cardio routine includes power-walking on an inclined treadmill. Yesterday I started out instead at a slow jog (5.5 MPH), and did OK for 3 or 4 minutes, then couldn't continue, as my heart rate was only in the 120's. If I "sneak up" on it, starting slower and building up in intensity, I can get my HR up to upper 130's or even 140's, but it feels way too much like work. I guess I can't complain -- the beta blocker helps regulate my heart so I stay in normal sinus rhythm.

Keep up the great work, Brian. You're a true inspiration to all of us.

I was in good shape before my surgery (surgeries rather), and I do think I am getting close to being in better shape now, but that is probably only because my training has become more focused, regimented, and smart. The surgeries have given me the drive to become the best I can be.

Yesterday was 8 weeks since I got my mechanical valve. 2 days ago I completed a 3 mile run in 32 minutes. I wasn't even close to being where I'm at right now after my first OHS in 2012. I really feel like everything has been fixed this time and blood is flowing the right way and not back into my ventricle! It is pretty exciting to already be making such quick improvements. I'm a long way from my goals though.

Love a good news story first thing in the morning

cewilk;n854229 said:
Yesterday was 8 weeks since I got my mechanical valve. 2 days ago I completed a 3 mile run in 32 minutes. I wasn't even close to being where I'm at right now after my first OHS in 2012.

fantastic! I'm sure you'll make your goals

Pellicle, I forgot to respond to you in a question you asked me a while back in this thread. I do use a fitbit when I exercise, but I don't usually wear it other than that. PM me if your interested in obtaining some data.

Latest posts

Back