Military service after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Zulu

I am curious if anyone here applied for or received a waiver / PEB approval to continue military service after open heart surgery.

I am curious if anyone here applied for or received a waiver / PEB approval to continue military service after open heart surgery.
In Australia it would depend on your trade. You may not be deployable. I don't know about the US, but here a waiver would not be out of the question.

I don't live very far from the Willow Grove air base in Pa and about 8 years ago there was a story on tge CBS evening news about a pilot who had hos valve replaced by the surgeon I plan on using for my surgery, Dr Bavaria, and went on to fly A10 warthogs in Iraq. They don't have a copilot either.

Hey, that's great. I remember there was a cop from Canada who used to post here, went back on patrols no problem. I love hearing those stories.

I'm not in the military and I'm not a cop but I do have a job that occasionally requires a lot of physical effort.I work for a local water and sewer authority. Some days, like today are pretty easy- collecting water samples, but other days there's a good bit of heavy lifting. As I'm 45 with a wife and a 7 year old son I'm not looking for a career change so I'm hoping after the surgery I can get back to what I consider normal. I have a mildly leaking bicuspid aortic valve and an ascending aneurysm.

Same here. I've put on weight over the past year. I don't know whether it's the beta blocker or not. I'm hoping to lose weight and get back to being fit, before and beyond my replacement.

Same here. I've put on weight over the past year. I don't know whether it's the beta blocker or not. I'm hoping to lose weight and get back to being fit, before and beyond my replacement.

Guess I've been lucky. I've been eating better and doing a lot of walking. I was 6'2" and 240 lbs and now I'm still 6'2" but down to 213 .cardiologist was surprised, said usually the beta blocker makes people gain weight.

Hello Dan, I did not have to do a waiver or a PEB. I believe a lot depends on the type of surgery and circumstances along with any lasting complications. AR 40-501 para 3-2 states that:

Trial of duty and profiling for cardiovascular conditions:

a. Trial of duty will be based upon a cardiologist’s recommendation when the individual is asymptomatic without
objective evidence of myocardial ischemia, and when other functional assessments (such as coronary angiography,
exercise testing, and newly developed techniques) indicate it is medically advisable.
b. Prior to commencing the trial of duty period, an evaluation will be accomplished in all cases and a physical
activity prescription on DA Form 3349 will be provided by the cardiologist. The results of the trial of duty will include
the individual’s interim history, present condition, prognosis, and the final recommendations. If the Soldier successfully
completes the trial of duty, is considered a New York Heart Association Functional Class I, AND there are no physical
or assignment restrictions, the Soldier may be returned to duty without referral to a MEB. If the Soldier has any
physical restrictions after the trial of duty; he/she should be referred to an MEB. In addition to the documented results
of the trial of duty, a detailed report from the commander or supervisor clearly describing the individual’s ability to
accomplish assigned duties and to perform physical activity will be incorporated into the MEB record. The results of
the MEB and an updated DA Form 3349 will then be forwarded to a PEB if the Soldier does not met medical retention
standards. For RC Soldiers not on active duty, the trial of duty may consider performance in the Soldier’s civilian
position, as well as any military duty that may have been performed in the interim

There are several paragraphs in AR 40-501 that deals with heart surgery and after affects. It can be very confusing and contradicting. I think a lot depends on where you are stationed and if the medical staff have an obvious bias concerning AVR's and surgery, and if you are able to return to full active service without restrictions.

Hope this helps and sorry it took me a while to respond.

Thanks for your replies. The Air Force Reserve suspended me from pay or points status, so I'm stuck on the wrong side of a vested retirement for the time being. I'm not aircrew and am preparing my case for the PEB, which will occur long after my August aortic root replacement.

I am active duty in the Marines. I found out back in 2012 I had BAV. In 2013 my symptoms worsened and I was placed on a limited duty status. I was advised I would remain on limited duty until I had my BAV surgically corrected. I chose a Ross Procedure which did not require me to be on blood thinners, so once I fully recovered I came off limited duty and I deployed to Afghanistan only 1 year later. However, I have now found out my surgery wasn't completely successful and I will likely have to have a re-op, which this time I will choose a mechanical and the blood thinners are an automatic medical separation.

Agian;n800534 said:
Hey, that's great. I remember there was a cop from Canada who used to post here, went back on patrols no problem. I love hearing those stories.

I know this post is older, but I think Agian was talking about me. I am a Canadian police officer and was able to return to full patrol. I had valve repair and am not on blood thinners.

I'm having a re-do February 18 and will likely choose a mechanical valve. I have no idea what will happen after this surgery as I expect to be on blood thinners.

Good news. The Reserve returned me to traditional reservist duty, which for the time being allows me to perform my weekend drills at my home base. After a year they might release me to perform additional assignments, but this way I can at least finish building up retirement points.

Latest posts

Back