Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Self Registrations have now been re-enabled. Due to the wonderful world of Spammers, those registering will be required to answer every question in the form..
See more
See less

Hot tub after surgery?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot tub after surgery?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it will be after surgery that you can use a hot tub? We have one outside and I thought it would be great for relieving the muscle soreness that seems to follow OHS. I am sure the incision would have to be healed first. But I am also aware that the high temperature of the water can wreak havoc with blood pressure.

I will certainly ask my cardiologist but was just wondering if anyone here had any experience.

Randy
    Diagnosed with severe aortic regurgitation January 2005
    Aortic valve repair at Mayo on October 13, 2005
    Two weeks later, repair failed.
    Aortic valve replacement with On-x 25mm on February 16, 2006 at Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Gosta Pettersson.

They told me 8 weeks for the Hot Tub. I don't think it's the temps, but the bacteria that can cause infection at incision.

Dan
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Laguna[/FONT]

Coarctation of Aorta Repair ( CHOP 1972). Aortic Valve Replacement/Ascending Aortic Graft ( Mass General, December 04, Edwards Magna Tissue Valve)

Comment

Originally posted by inlaguna
      They told me 8 weeks for the Hot Tub. I don't think it's the temps, but the bacteria that can cause infection at incision.

Dan
      What Dan said. I've got a mechanical mitral valve and go hot-tubbing all the time. Just wait 'til your incision is healed up.

Comment

Randy,
        I was told showers were OK but no hot baths.
        I would think six to eight weeks probably would be what he says.
        I can tell you that first hot bath was fantastic!
        Rich
        AVR 7-29-96
        St. Jude Mechanical
        Wm. Beaumont Hospital
        Royal Oak,Mi.
        Dr. Paul Clancy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
        Geo. Carlin

Comment

Thanks, everyone. That makes me feel much better. I know it will be a great feeling climbing into that hot tub for the first time postop.

Randy
          Diagnosed with severe aortic regurgitation January 2005
          Aortic valve repair at Mayo on October 13, 2005
          Two weeks later, repair failed.
          Aortic valve replacement with On-x 25mm on February 16, 2006 at Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Gosta Pettersson.

Comment

Working...
          X